Food diversity questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hear it's good to put variety in the foods you give your fish.

Right now, I feed my oscar Cichlid pellets and frozen bloodworms on alternate days, then live guppies once every week or 2 weeks. Is this a decent diet for now?

(Oscar's only like 2- 2 1/2 inches)

yes. That should satisfy them for now and probably all through their life. I am sure you can switch ip the blood worms for brine shrimp etc... Variety is the spice of life

Your Oscar will love that diet... and it should grow pretty fast too. :mrgreen:

When I kept them I used to collect earthworms after a spring and summer rain. That seemed to be their favorite. :roll:

I feed my Oscars New Life Spectrum Cichlid pellets, Frozen beefheart, frozen plakton, frozen Daphnia, zucchini, blanched peas, crickets, and Cichlid sticks soaked in a vitamin supplement like Boi-Vit.

I would stay away from live feeders as they carry diseases that will transfer to your Oscar and they have NO nutritional value at all.

oscarbreeder said:
I would stay away from live feeders as they carry diseases that will transfer to your Oscar and they have NO nutritional value at all.

Exactly! Unless, of course, you raise your own feeders - and make sure they are free of disease and well-fed so they will be healthy, nutritious oscar snacks. But, with all the prepared, fresh, and frozen foods out there, it might not be worth the effort to raise your own feeders. The oscars won't care either way - to them, food is food and all they really want is a bit of variety.

My Oscar gets a very varied diet,
Cichlid pellets, carnivore sticks, Fresh/freezedried earthworms, live crickets, krill, algae wafers (steals'em from my plec), various veggies, just about any insect unlucky enough to get caught and a occassional feeders (only if I know they are disease/parasite free).
Pellets, sticks and wafers get soaked in vitamins (Vita-Chem) once a day.

Back
Top Bottom