going with dwarf cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I made some changes today. I traded in my 4 cories from my oak 29 gallon tank and my 4 bleeding heart tetras from my black 29 gallon tank.
(See signature).

I want to put a male kribensis in my black 29 gallon and a pair of Anomolachromis thomasi in the oak tank.

Anyone know how available the dwarf cichlid Anomolachromis thomasi is? What is the common name for this dwarf cichlid?

Any other ideas for dwarf cichlids? The apistos I see advertised are expensive and we don't see them much here anyway.

dax29 said:
I
Anyone know how available the dwarf cichlid Anomolachromis thomasi is? What is the common name for this dwarf cichlid?

Avaialbility in your area I cannot guess at, but they are commonly called 'African Butterfly cichlids'.

dax29 said:
Any other ideas for dwarf cichlids? The apistos I see advertised are expensive and we don't see them much here anyway.

Apistos are the way to go, though....not much outstrips a nice, triple red male caucatoides or a coloured-up male borelli.

OK, execpt for mebbe a nice blue ram. :wink:

Attachments

• aborellii1.jpeg
    aborellii1.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 33
Gosh what a fish! Is that your fish?

The thing about apistos are that they are often sold in pairs and I want ot avoid the aggression assocated with spawning.

Toirtis said:
It wouldn't matter... I am an appalling photographer at the best of times anyway.

That is a pitty.. I think we would all love to see pictures of your tanks!!

Toirtis said:
Occassionally....I do have a massive maple 12' x 4' dining table. :p

That sounds SWEET!

I highly recommend some of the dwarf cichlids from South America. I recently acquired some checkerboard cichlids and German blue rams. I already have some dwarf cockatoo apistos.

okay I'm impressed

Well I've been looking at the apistos and such on the web and I'm impressed. I've known about these for some time but I've never seen them, much. I saw a couple of the cockatoos on one of my trips. I'd like to get a couple of cockatoos, or some other apisto but they all seem so pricy. Liveaquaria.com sells them in pairs. So I assume a pair is necessary for the proper well being of the fish in general. My lfs doesn't carry them but may get some in sometime, I think.

Will these do okay with either Bolivian rams (and I'll bet they don't) or my flag (curviceps) cichlids. I'm still thinking of getting a male krib and putting it in one of these tanks as well.

Anomolachromis thomasi are a good choice..lol.. I found out they are not a common species in the states ... So far I have learned that curviceps, orange hatchets and shellies are good tank mates as well as some rainbow species... I am eagerly waiting my twos arrival maybe I will get three:) :wink:

I've never kept apistos with either Bolivian rams or dwarf flag cichlids. I suspect they will do fine with the latter because those are generally pretty well behaved. I think fish stores prefer to sell apistos in pairs because they are hard to get in stock on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom