Guppy vs. Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd defiantly go with cichlids too! I started my fishtank addiction with a 10 gallon with guppies, and I now have my cichlid tank which I love! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390879030.861982.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390879062.271194.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390879254.568789.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390879329.530889.jpg

Gorgeous tank you have there! What kind of cichlids would you suggest (African, New world etc.) ? Also what do you feed them and what tank size would you recommend. I'd also like some ideas for tank mates :)

Wow those are awesome! Is that an insanely fat jewel cichlid at the bottom f the one pic?

Sorry I missed this question yes that's a jewel cichlid. I started a mbuna tank at first I thought jewels were mbuna but of course they are not I traded all the other mbuna for peacocks except for the yellow lab and the jewel because my wife is fond of both of them

Africans are the most colorful fish other the saltwater you can do new world cichlids too to me expect for a few darfs and convicts most get huge and your limited to one or two fish In 6 foot tanks

I love my ice blue (pictured in the group shot), yellow labs at a splash of super bright color... I haven't really gone in depth with my fish, I goto the LFS, pick a fish I like and put them in. It's not the best way to pick fish, but it's worked for me. I have a 40 gallon long, but if I knew I was getting cichlids I would of went with at least a 55. When setting up your tank sand will always be best, rocks and what not can be found at your local garden or landscaping store (get creative, it keeps it from becoming to costly). Cichlids are relatively easy to keep if you do some research first. I traded my guppies for some convict cichlids, and then from there traded those for Africans (I still have lots of convicts though...).

55 is your best size tank for Africans but of your budget is tight or you don't have the room like me you can go with a 40 or 45 long as this will give you more room. Many types of Africans mbuna, peacocks, and haps and many more these are just the most common. And just because they are african doesn't mean they are the same mbuna are by far way more aggressive but still vary colorful I myself prefer peacocks but I like them all typically they grow out to 6 inches. You may want to research before you buy anything I say go with peacocks but they are more expensive and check this out great info on peacocks and pics http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/results.php?genus=17

Back
Top Bottom