Haps/peacocks w/ mbunas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well unfortunately something in the tank decided to turn it on against the goldfish while I was at work it looks pretty bad but I've separated it and am going to take it to the local goldfish/koi store see if they can't patch it up for some one else to enjoy.

Well unfortunately something in the tank decided to turn it on against the goldfish while I was at work it looks pretty bad but I've separated it and am going to take it to the local goldfish/koi store see if they can't patch it up for some one else to enjoy.

Mbunas are no joke. That's why they are supposed to be very specifically stocked. Don't be surprised if one day the same thing happens to the peacocks and jeweled cichlids.

I thought the red empress was a hap.

You're right, I misspoke on that. But the same goes for the hap. Here's an excerpt from an article on them:
They are different from the Mbuna or rock-dwelling cichlids, as they they prefer open swimming areas where the rock meets the sand. But they still prefer being around rocky areas that offer retreats in caves or cracks. As they are a peaceful fish, do not mix them with aggressive Mbunas. They can be housed with other peaceful Malawi Lake cichlids, as well as Pictus Catfish and Ropefish.
Red Empress, Protomelas taeniolatus, Spindle Hap Cichlid Fish Guide

Back
Top Bottom