Haps/peacocks w/ mbunas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole_russell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gallon tank stocked with 14 mbunas and 2 jewel cichlids the tank is currently being filtered with a fluval 406 canister and I was curious if it would be unadvisable to add 1 peacock/hap to the tank. I think having one larger fish cruising about would be pretty cool but won't do it if it's going to be an issue. this is the first step in my researching this matter so I don't have a species or anything in mind quite yet. Something around 8 inches maybe, let me know what you guys think.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405613113.546477.jpg

Should be fine if it's got a size advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't. Peacocks tend to be way more peaceful than mbuna, and haps need tanks larger than a 60.

I had a peacock that got destroyed by my mbuna that I had to rehome. I also had a livingstonii hap that is still in there with the mbuna and is fine. He's about half an inch longer than my biggest mbuna

Yeah, i agree with freakgecko. Most peacocks are a lot more peaceful than mbuna and would be targeted by them, and haps should generally have a longer tank, except for the few smaller, 4 inch ones.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquariuml

Dang... My app stopped updating and it seems I got some bad advice from my lfs, saying a livingstoni would be fine. So now I have an about 4" livingstoni do you think it will get too large? Let me know asap as the stores return policy is limited.

Yeah, probably not a good idea to keep in a 4 foot tank. It'll get about 10" and they can be pretty aggressive carnivores. I would return it. Sorry about that, its no fun buying a fish and having to take it back!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquariuml

You could do a lwanda, or dragon blood, they are a little feistier, it's still a gamble. There are a few haps that would work in their as well, a Lethrinops intermedius, or Red Empress could work.

I have a flavescent and an ahli with my mbuna they all do fine just keep fed and happy all should be well.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmmm some comprecips check the spelling on that lol have green tints but all out green african cichlids are rare maybe a green afra

But nvm on the afra its mbuna you want hap or peacock right

Well it's an mbuna tank just was initially looking for a fish to really stand out maybe even be a bit larger than the rest capping 7-8" if thats doable in a 4' aquarium. The one in the store was probably 7" and was gorgeous so I bought a juvenile of it not thinking.

What about blue orchid peacocks too small? Or not aggressive enough let me know what you think. I'll probably keep posting names as I come across things I like.

Looking at lethrinops intermedius right now, sweet looking fish anyone ever seen one in a lfs? Think it could work?

Letrinops intermedius
Mloto likoma
Blue orchid
Fireflash/dragon blood
Sulpher head

This was the list I was able to throw together I'll be back at the store tomorrow so I'll let you guys know as I know. If any of you happen to catch this tonight I'll hopefully be around for a little while.

I have a Lethrinops intermedius, awesome fish, also gives you some green. I got mine locally at livefishdirect.com but they ship as well.

Sulpherheads are tough but can be easily dominated. Not a good choice if you have yellow Mbuna like Kenyi

Looks like you have some pretty feisty Mbuna, my albino socolofi is the worst in my tank. Also are those johanni or maingano? (probably butchered the spelling)

With those id be hesitant about a peacock. But you could get away with it just fine. Just one of those things.

Back
Top Bottom