have 2 fish that I don't know what they are (pic included) - ALSOOOO.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Soo I have these 2 fish. One, is leopard printed w/ a green belly & face - the other, I think, is a jack d. but I'm not too sure. Attached is a pic of them next to one another.

tankpic2 by ronnieroach1987, on Flickr

When I first added the jack d. to the 55 gal, the leopard fish was chasing him around. Now, the jack is chasing the leopard fish & its been going on for about 3 days. He isnt harming the leopard fish but he wont stop chasing him.

Does anyone know if this will end, or just get worse? Should I bring the jack back to the store where I got him from? They're really cool about swapping fish that dont flow with the pre-existing tank vibe lol so its no biggie if I have to send him packing. I really love leo, so I dont want him being tortured.

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!

THANKS FRIENDS!

The leopard looking one seems to me to be Nimbochromis venustus, a malawi cichlid. The other i'm not so sure about. It may be a dempsey but I can't see very well. The chasing behavior is typical. Do they prefer different parts of the tank and chase when the other is trespassing? They are probably just establishing their territory. Put some more decorations in there and they will settle down faster, then they will only skirmish occasionally when one wants to try to take over the others land or when one accidentally crosses the others borders.

Yep the first one is a "giraffe" malwai cichlid. The other one, looks like a jd but I can't tell for sure.

If I'm not mistaken those are two different kind of cichlids maybe. New world (jd maybe) and african (giraffe)

I have 2 giraffes and all they do is chase each other back and forth all day LOL. They never seem to be mean or nasty about it.

Good luck..

I don't know what the fish is on the right but it is definitely not a jd. Jds don't have the big spot on the tail. Its a beautiful fish though!!!

thanks everyone for all your help!!

when i first got the dark fish that i thought was a jack, i assumed he was a special jack because of his red tail fin lol

my girraffe still has all his fins in tact so i know the "jack" isnt harming him, just chasing.. still wish it would stop though :( lol

thanks everyone for all your help!!

when i first got the dark fish that i thought was a jack, i assumed he was a special jack because of his red tail fin lol

my girraffe still has all his fins in tact so i know the "jack" isnt harming him, just chasing.. still wish it would stop though :( lol

I wouldn't worry to much about the venustus, he will grow to about 20-25cm lol

again, THANKS EVERYONE!! you guys & gals are awesome!!

just an update:
i got rid of the dark "jack?" guy.. brought him back to the pet store & swapped him for a firemouth who was smaller than my venustus.. i wasnt happy that my fav fish was now hiding & fleeing all day & as soon as i removed the "jack" my venustus started roaming everywhere again.. but now hes chasing the firemouth haha

so now ive got my oscar, 2 parrots, the firemouth, a shovelnose cat, my girraffe cichlid & my tiny tiny fish whos name i forgot too now lol all in my 55gal but only until we move then i'll be going 90gal+

Back
Top Bottom