Help I have a BIG Bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidlover_1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP!!!!

I have recently started up a new tank with two peacock cichlids. It's been up and running with fish for about 3 weeks and going well. Just this morning one of the cichlids (who has always been the more dominant of the two) has started being very aggressive towards the other. Spot (the aggressive one) chases Blue (the victim) into the corner of the tank behind one of the plants where he will try to hide:hide:. Spot will then leave him alone for a while but every now and then he nips at Blue to chase him out of his tidy hole and chases him around the tank until Blue can get behind the plant.

I have tried moving the decorations around (to change territory options) but that did nothing. What should I do? Should I divide the tank, or get some more fish. There are also two bristle nose catfish but I don't think that matters, they keep to themselves.

Please if anyone knows what to do help me!!

Thats a tiny tank for africans my friend. Thats even too small for shellies or SA dwarfs.

Well peacocks get 4+ inches, they need a larger tank 40 gallon minimum Imo. The behavior your describing is completely normal territorial behavior.

If you have the funds I'd say 200L+ tank at minimum. Peacocks are awesome well worth it!

My guess is that one has claimed the whole tank as its territory and doesn't want the other there.

cichlidlover_1 said:
So is Blue just supposed to stay behind the plant for the rest of his life?

No you should get a bigger tank and more hiding spots

Back
Top Bottom