Help! Parrot Cichlid floating on side at top of tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katfich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 5 year old parrot cichlid is thrashing about and floating on her side at the top of the tank....I don't know what to do. I keep pushing her down but she comes right back up.

Hoping someone is online that can help!

Kat

It might be a swibladder issue.
What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) And water changing schedule?
Try not feeding her for a couple days, she will be fine without food.
If that doesn't work, you can boil and shell peas, and see if she will eat those. They are a laxative for fish.

What about needle aspiration

She spits the peas out. So, I have also heard of needle aspiration. She is really struggling and floating on her side around the tank and I'm getting ready to put her out of her misery, but I have had her for so very long, I am ready to try anything.

Do you know exactly where the swim bladder is? I have a large guage syringe that I could try.

Thanks,

Kathleen

I've also check the water and it is fine. I am trying the epsom salt bath right now; still trying to feed her peas but she spits them out. All the other cichlids in my tank are fine...this is just such a mystery to me. Still trying to research needle aspiration. I'll try to add an image of my fish shortly.

Here she is - red, bloated belly

Notice how red and bloated her belly is?

Attachments

• parrot.jpg
    parrot.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 266
Yikes! That's pretty bad. :( I have never heard of the needle thing. Is there any way you could make a little sling type thing for her so she can be upright? Have you put anything new in the tank recently? If you are able to QT her, you can try dosing salt in the QT tank, (1 tsp per gallon).

Apparently the needle aspiration is a pretty common thing as a last resort. I did a 45 minute epsom salt quarantine as recommended by a veterinatian. Apparently the magnesium sulfate can help, but I've seen no response yet. I've also read of using aquarium glue to glue a temporary fishing weight to the floating side to keep her upright and under water...but I can't bring myself to do this to her. I'll keep looking for the diagram on location of the swim bladder. It is this, or I have to put her down; she is suffering. Thank you for your comment.

I wish you alot of luck. You have had her for a long time, and I know how it is. :( I had one fish for only 8 months, and I was devestated when he died.
Keep me/us posted! :)

Oh thank you! These are better than the images I found. I'll let you know what I decide to do. I have to put one of our cats down on Friday afternoon due to illness so if I lose my fish too, this is going to be horrible.

Decided to Euthanize Parrot Fish

Thank you for trying to help me out. I had to make the awful decision to euthanize my dear friend today. She was suffering so terribly and I couldn't watch her struggle with one gill out of the water any longer.

Such a sad day for me. It's a good I dropped out of Veterinary school...I was right...I would have been too saddened by every pet death.

Take care.

katfich

:( :( :( I am so sorry she couldn't be helped!!!!!! I had to put a fish down not too long ago also, for dropsy, and it's no fun. I am glad you did the right thing and didn't let her suffer though. Two years ago I had to put my rat down and people laughed at me for taking a rat to the vet and spending $40, but it was worth every penny to me.
Keep your head up though, and don't give up on fish! She had a good life with you for a few years. :)

Thank you Darby. I can't get the memory of her last hour out of my head. :cry: I've decided not to put the cat down tomorrow now...I just couldn't deal with that too, right now. Don't worry about what other people think about how you feel about your pets. I think that it's all about Karma; how you treat other lives during your life, whether people or animals, all comes back to you in the end. Thanks again for your support; it truly helped me out yesterday.:)

Back
Top Bottom