How do I stop this aggression????!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryldooley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help!!!! My alpha male won't stop cornering my other fish!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390669762.662059.jpg

Chases them over If they go near him on other side. Now they has no where to swim!

His sideImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390669856.271789.jpg

Tried to post video it wot work to show u. I hate this. Poor fish :(

Have you tried the "time out" method? Put him in another tank for a few days or I've even used a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone and heater in a pinch. It gives the other fish a chance to establish a new tank heirarchy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt but its one of the simpler things to try.

As stated above, try moving the aggressive fish to a different tank. Can't see the whole tank and probably not all the fish either, but it looks a little understocked as well so u could try adding some more fish to spread the aggression more.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have more hiding spaces in ratio to fish... They become extremely aggressive an territorial... Either over stock the tank with loads of cichlids i like putting loads of smaller ones in :) and then that should calm it down. Or remove some hiding places potentially?

Personally I would add quite a lot more fish... It makes it hard for the dominant fish to bully the others as there are too many if that makes sense? :)

As stated above, try moving the aggressive fish to a different tank. Can't see the whole tank and probably not all the fish either, but it looks a little understocked as well so u could try adding some more fish to spread the aggression more.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright what can I add to the tank. I'm not sure the types I have. Ive heard that overstocked helps aggression... I have two parrots. Two peacocks. A blue zebra. An albino snow cichlid. Two yellow albino labs. A pleco 6". An a frontosa (getting bigger or new tank for him) what other cichlids can go in with those?

Honestly I'd try and move him out for a day and while he's out move decor around and also add a handful of smaller cheap cichlids like assorted Africans. I don't normally like them but in your case u may need them.

I just re arranged the decor yesterday and he's so muh worse!!! Don't have any temporary place for him so gonna have to go get a few more cichlids. Am definitely wanting more anyway haha :) thanks all

When i buy my cichlids i dont know "who goes with who" i buy whichever nice looking ones there and and mine all get along :) i have about 30 or so in my 60gal including a frontosa

Take him out into a small container. leave him out for a day and put him back.
Maybe, the timeout helps. It did with my Demasoni.

I say remove the parrot fish and just stick with all mbuna

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The time out method may work but another fish may rise to the dominant position lucky for me my tank boss isn't super over aggressive

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just had some aggression issues of my own not too long ago, so I understand how distressing it can be. I moved and brought my Apache (sulfur head) peacock with me, I had to wait over a month before I had the opportunity to get more Cichlids close to his size so he had the tank to himself for a bit too long. In hindsight I should have taken my chances and gotten juveniles but I wanted to try an all male peacock tank and many peacocks are hard to sex when they are young.
Anyway, log story short I found a few adults that fit the bill and introduced them and set off World War 3. The Apache was being nasty (as I had expected) so I used the time-out method and that worked for the Apache but the Acei that took his place as Alpha was not any better, I lost an expensive Red Empress male in the fighting (it will be last time I spend $35 on one fish, he was stunning though) and also lost a lot of peace of mind.
It was getting to the point that I was starting to wonder why I bother keeping African Cichlids. I then decided to try getting some smaller juvenile Cichlids and give up on the all peacock dream (I can't find them unless I go to Denver anyway). So I got two yellow labs and two jewel Cichlids and put them in, and the targeted aggression started to calm down quite a bit. The Acei and the Apache still don't like each other but they coexist and so does everyone else.
Lots of plants (live or otherwise, mine are plastic) can also help, I had a tall plant sitting right in the middle of the tank for months to help block line-of-sight and lots of others on the sides for the less dominant fish to conceal themselves in when the boss is being mean.
The smaller fish are great for distracting the alpha, he'll chase them just because he can but it's half hearted because they are too small to be a threat. As several people above have noted, the more Cichlids you can add, the better the aggression will be.
However, I've found there are some individual fish that are downright nasty and will target a specific fish to the exclusion of all others until they kill that fish and then they move onto another target... I don't keep fish if they get like that (I've had very few like that and most I was able to re-home).
Anyway, over the years I've found the best way to have a peaceful Cichlid community is to get all your fish at the same time and when they are really young so they grow up together. It's not always an option, but if you have the opportunity, it almost always works out better that way.

How often do you feed them?...Sometimes hungry cichlids make for aggressive cichlids.

Once a day with a few varieties it's all eaten before it hits the bottom. Sometimes and extra treat as well every cups days

Ya I tend to just buy the ones I think look nice haha. Turns out all are mbuna haha. Well grabbig 4 or 6 tomorrow and hope it helps calm him a bit. My poor male peacock is getting a whooping from the albino :( but oh well. I've chased him and taken him out for a bit didn't do anything he's still mean. I believe he's still trying to protect his nest right now... Oyi

Lol u went from a loving thought to be spawning couple to a gang war for turf...is this all in the same tank?

I would imagine & hard as it maybe is remove the aggressor...

Lol u went from a loving thought to be spawning couple to a gang war for turf...is this all in the same tank?

I would imagine & hard as it maybe is remove the aggressor...

I know it's confusing ha ha!! It's all same tank. The albino zebra and blue zebra were trying to spawn two days ago and nothing happened. But I think he believe it did and is aggressively chasin the other fish from the spot they used during their spawn. But all in all he has always been this way had him for I think 5 months (could be wrong) and got them all at same time and he's been that way ever since. I just re did aqua scape last week or last weekend and t started to be way more extreme also happened to be just a few days after the aqua scape that the two started spawning... So I'm at a loss and confused ... Sorry for the up n down info...

I'll try and remove him again for a few hours and let the tank mates settle. Tomorrow I'm gonna add a few more and hope it helps. There's more spots to hide then there is fish so... Ya... I'm lost

Back
Top Bottom