ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this fish at the LFS, but the clerk did not know what kind of cichlid it was, because it was brought in for adoption and she only really knew about goldfish (She was the only clerk on at the time.). It was being housed with some Kenyi's which I already have, so I went ahead and adopted the guy. My largest Kenyi has not taken too well to him, but I think it is because he is a little bigger, and the Kenyi is just trying to point out whose tank it is.
img_1199857_0_1f8d2aaec09be4ad05b30f0c09f6664c.jpg

I should also note that the Kenyi is just chasing and not doing the full fin-flaring side-flashing vibrating aggression thing that he likes to do when he is mad.

Last edited:
It looks like a hybrid to me, but I'm not an expert. It has that horizontal stripe pattern like some of the Mbuna though, so I'm not sure it's a Kenyi cichlid. I like the touch of yellow on the edges of the fins. Good luck with your new fish :)

Thanks, I was starting to think it was a hybrid. Things have settled down in the tank, and he has found a home. I know it's not a Kenyi as I have some of those already. It's funny, though, how dinner time temporarily erases all boundrys!!

If it is a hybrid, I can almost be certain that one of the species is Pseudotropheus socolofi. It's that horizontal strip that is throwing me. Here is a better pic of him without the flash washout:
img_1201022_0_40948dcbb2d625fbad754d86d5872d8c.jpg

He is an awesome fish, and very beautiful with great subtle coloring.

I got this fish at the LFS, but the clerk did not know what kind of cichlid it was, because it was brought in for adoption and she only really knew about goldfish (She was the only clerk on at the time.). It was being housed with some Kenyi's which I already have, so I went ahead and adopted the guy. My largest Kenyi has not taken too well to him, but I think it is because he is a little bigger, and the Kenyi is just trying to point out whose tank it is.
img_1203700_0_1f8d2aaec09be4ad05b30f0c09f6664c.jpg

I should also note that the Kenyi is just chasing and not doing the full fin-flaring side-flashing vibrating aggression thing that he likes to do when he is mad.

I haven't a clue, but he is gorgeous.

It is a melanochromis auratus. I'm almost sure I have the same one. Love em but on the aggressive side.

Back
Top Bottom