Ideas for a 70gal extra-tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonw0w

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I am just looking for ideas for my 70gal extra tall tank. I already have a nice little 12gal community but I want to try something a little more difficult. Discus were the first thing that came to mind but I don't really know anything about this family of fish.

I was just looking for more information about them and what kinds of tank mates would be appropriate. Are they very aggresive? Are they plant eaters? I know they have specific water quality needs. What are they? Anecdotal advice is great but I'd love some links to web pages or books that I could read or buy.

Thanks

Discus are a non aggresive fish that need a high level of care and quaility of water. Fish that can go with them are cardinal tetras.
They dont eat plants and are some of the most beauitful fish you will ever find.
Im not sure what kind of water you are looking for but i know it needs to be high quaility and maintened

I was thinking of doing a school of tetras and some Cory cats for the bottom. About the water, I was looking for pH requirements and frequency of PWC's. For PWC's I've heard as much as 90% once a week. Is that true or can I stay closer to my 20-30% once a week?

I think it would be best for you to find a local breeder for discus and purchase from them. Or if you get them from the store, see how long they have had the fish and what they do to maintain it. Don't buy from an online source unless you absolutely have to.

Most discus are acclimatized to your local supply and are hardier than their wild forms. If the previous owner performed water changes twice a week then you will have to as well. Remember that is what they are used to and will be finicky if you change that water quality (standard).

If you are thinking about plants, that extra tall height on your tank could pose some problems with certain light fixtures. Do lots of research on what type of plants you want to keep and then look for a good fixture that will meet its needs. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom