Is it possible for a firemouth and a Dempsey to reproduce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaenthused

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a male firemouth and a female Dempsey and they are acting as though they are spawning. This is insanity. I have had every pair of mine breed and have fry over the past couple weeks including my Oscars, Bolivian rams, African clawed frogs, sunshine bnp, all my livebearers, my pollinis, my goldfish and one of my tetra schools, lol.

This being said and following up on a post about firemouth breeding... My odd couple appear to be doing the cichlid love dance!! I am curious if anyone else has seen this happen before?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you been dimming the lights and playing to much Marvin Gay on the stereo? Lol. Sounds like love is in the air at your place. Time to start a fish store.

Hmmm, so they can spawn... Does anyone have a clue about success rates? Lol, and I thought I was almost done rearing and rehoming!!

Idk of they even can but if they can I doubt the success rate is very high at all.

It does happen I have seen FM x JD and FM x Con and JD x Con. I think FM and Convicts will breed with anything lol. But seriously it does happen but I don't know success rate. FM and Con are notorious hybriders (is that a word)

There's a video on YouTube of a lot of hybrids like this it's pretty cool to check out be even cooler if yours did spawn!

Thanks guys for the info!! Makes me think that I should probably give my female black con and my female Dempsey together in my vacant 60g and leave my male firemouth in the big boy tank, lol. If I get hybrids I'll let you guys know, lol

I don't think the success rate is crazy high though.

Lol- I just had more fry then I could count in all of my tanks I had more frankenfry in my livebearer tank than you could imagine, they looked specks of detritus... My rescued baby peacock cichlid and convict have been eating well, I only have about 10 quarter inch fry left, 5 ram wigglers and I can't count the amount of tadpoles I have in a 10g bucket I plan on gut loading, freezing and saving for future use. I have learned my lesson, there is always a possibility of spawning, no matter how stressed out your fish should be

And my luck of the draw I'll have little bitty fire dempseys in a few weeks!!

Keep me updated I want to see how they come out

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After I saw my silver dollars trying to spawn I took drastic measures, lol. I took all spawning items out, removed 2/3 of my water, washed decor, rearranged the tank and dropped the water level and temperature, raised the kh to 9 (from 7) and ph from 6.7 to 7.0 and threw in my renegade goldfish again. I'm 99% positive I'm baby free now, and I haven't witnessed any spawning behavior today, in that tank at least. I may use my 90g to house my Dempsey, firemouth and black con to see if anything will happen (luckily the Dempsey and convict are females and the firemouth is the lone male), but that's only if I can't find a true wild Oscar :)

FM and JD's are both Central American cichlids which means they can spawn. All CA cichlids including the festae can hybridize. But with most hybrid CA cichlids the males are infertile. Just make sure you label them correctly if ever you try to sell them or give them away. I can't wait to see the babies. Post pics.

All except oscars I believe

Oscars are South American. South American cichlids are not as closely related to each other as Central American cichlids are. SA cichlids can't even crossbreed with each other. But there is another exception that I forgot. I recently came across an australoheros sp. red ceibal which is SA that has crossbred with a con.

I just saw some of those at an auction last week but I have never heard a of them

I've heard convicts are notorious for their ability to reproduce with almost all other cichlids

I've heard convicts are notorious for their ability to reproduce with almost all other cichlids

Almost all other cichlids? Not even close. A number of central americans? Yes, especially cryptoheros sp. and amatitlania siquia

Cons are very prolific but they can't hybridize with almost all cichlids. As I stated earlier CA cichlids can hybridize and as far as SA cichlids I've only seen Festae and red ceibal to cross with a con.

Back
Top Bottom