is this over stocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew McFadden

Aquarium Advice Addict
None of my fish are full grown but I put the full size down for everyone. When I got all of them I didn't think I had too many but now that I keep thinking when they all reach their full size its going to be crammed. Thinking about getting rid of a Bumble bee.

3 yellow fin mbamba 3-4"
1 Afra cobue orange back 4"
1 greberi 5"
2 rusty 3-4"
1 tangerine tiger 9"
2 Bumble bee 8"
2 red zebra 3-4"
1 makonde yellow black fin 6.5"
3 ericotaenia hap 5"
2 clown lab 3-4"
1 aurora 5"
1 German red 5"
1 ice blue zebra 6"
2 yellow labs 4"
1 pictus catfish
1 stinkpot musk turtle

They all seem to do great and none of them fight so far
I forgot to add its a 180 gallon

Last edited:
I don't think so of the size tank you have IMO. I had to re home my bubble bees. They were bullying everyone in my tank. Honestly I think I have that many in my 75 gallon lol.

I don't think you're overstocked. You have the desirable footprint. Just make sure you have tons of caves for all of them.

I don't think so of the size tank you have IMO. I had to re home my bubble bees. They were bullying everyone in my tank. Honestly I think I have that many in my 75 gallon lol.

I keep wanting to add more but then I think of how crowded it may look when they all get full grown. At first my rustys was beating up on everyone but they quit that now every once and awhile one of the clowns and yelled labs get into it. When it comes to food the bigger Bumble bee takes what he wants and none of them mess with him even the turtle Lol he bulls the turtle and picks at him but not the other fish

When the turtle gets abit older and bored of being pecked that fish will be battered. The stinkpot won't be liking having a busy fast flowing tank, how long have you had it? Do you have the correct equipment for it, such as light, basking areas etc.?

I was thinking he is going to become food but he acts like they are not even there. I made a spot for him to get out with a basking light but he never comes out that I've seen. He does like to go up the ramp and jump off into the water it will do that over and over. The turtle is full grown and I've had it for 3-4 months now and seems very happy

What about a UVB? Sorry I have to ask otherwise people will never know if they are missing vital equipment.

I have one on his basking spot bit it does no good cause he is never in there. I also run two sets of 2xT5ho current lights with two day bulb and two actinic and me and the dude at the pet store compared the two lights and my t5 lights was stronger all the way around.

Just so your aware, you should invest in a UVB bulb for desert reptiles. This type of radiation is important to help turtles build their shells, metabolise calcium and keep shell rot and fungus away. Look up Reptisun UVB, you should be able to get one that fits in your current setup. Your stinkpot does look very cool, I'm not picking holes, but from the pic, I think his shell could look alot healthier than it is. Try feeding reptomin Sticks if you dont already they contain a high percentage of useable calcium, and combine with the UVB he will be doing alot better and will stay healthy for you alot longer.

I've attached a pic of one of mine, hope you can see how brown and clean his shell is. Hope you don't think I'm moaning at you, I just want you to enjoy your turtle and keep him alive to enjoy.

Attachments

• image-554556453.jpg
    image-554556453.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 84
His shell hasn't changed since the day he was delivered from turtle shack. So I thought this was all normal looking. I do have one little light that looks like a house bulb but its not big enough for a 6' tank so that's why I put it on his basking spot.

Andrew McFadden said:
His shell hasn't changed since the day he was delivered from turtle shack. So I thought this was all normal looking. I do have one little light that looks like a house bulb but its not big enough for a 6' tank so that's why I put it on his basking spot.

Might just be the picture then, that's all. What kind of light is it do you know? Cfl or does it have any markings on it at all? If you can get a strip type UVB they are much better light and UVB wise, and being over the whole tank will make sure he gets the UVB he needs.

Btw one of mine also likes to jump off his floating dock, how random is that, lol, must b a stinkpot thing.

Might just be the picture then, that's all. What kind of light is it do you know? Cfl or does it have any markings on it at all? If you can get a strip type UVB they are much better light and UVB wise, and being over the whole tank will make sure he gets the UVB he needs.

Btw one of mine also likes to jump off his floating dock, how random is that, lol, must b a stinkpot thing.

I may buy some new t5 fixtures soon cause the ones I have are a pain. I have to order the sunpac lights online and they are not cheap. Also dont worry about asking maybe I or we could have learned something. Hahahaha

It's a zoo med reptisun 10 that was a waste of money
He likes to climb up the rock I have and lay up there so maybe ill move the light.

Ah I c, right light tho. If you get a new one get a 5% they don't need it all that strong, but a 10% compact is better than nothing. I use a compact in the hatchling tank and I would prefer a strip on there, they are so much better. My basking light is a household 25w bulb, with a DIY/carnage'd reflector, works perfectly, and as u say they never use it anyway, but best to have it there.

Back
Top Bottom