Jack Dempseys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livelovelambs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a year ago I bought 2 Jack Dempseys, each about an inch and a half long. One is now about 6 inches and the other (who is considerably lighter in color) is only about 4 inches long.

Almost over night the smaller one got significantly darker in color and one (or both) of them has dug a large pit behind the boat in the tank. I've done some research and this is a sign of breeding, but the larger demp. is being extremely agressive to the smaller one. There is a hole in the boat were the smaller one has been hiding all day (since the larger one can't get through the opening) but it's very reluctant to come out even to eat. When it does, the larger one chases it around until it goes back into hiding.

Do you think its best to seperate them for the smaller ones safety, or just see how things play out?

First off, what size tank? Second of all, i think your Dempsy's have finally matured, and now the big one decided that he dosent like the smaller one. Sometimes they just dig for fun, classic cichlid behaviour.

its a 60g tank with plenty of rocks and hiding spots. The little one finally made an appearance and seems pretty beat up... there is a large, bruise like spot on its bottom lip. I'm gonna put him in another tank and see how he does. :/ poor little guy.

This morning I woke up to A LOT of dempsey fry in my tank, all hanging out down in the hole that was dug :] Its pretty exciting!! The larger fish is hovering over them and doing its job, and the smaller of the dempseys is doing much better in the seperate tank. It seems to be healing up rather quickly.

Im just not really sure where to go from here. Though I am thrilled, I wasn't exactly planning on baby fish. Should I turn the filter off or just keep it going? Any other advice???

I would keep it going, turning off your filter will kill any bacteria in your tank. You can take a Sponge( like a Aquaclear sponge) and fit it over the intake, that stops the fry from getting sucked up. I WANT PICS!

Ok, Thanks so much!! The fry are swimming around now and seem to be doing very well. Ill put up pics soon :]

Back
Top Bottom