Kribensis Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShyGecko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone had them? Do they really do well in a community aquarium? It seems that the websites I've gone to, there are 6 of one side, half a dozen of the other...not sure which to believe. I got three of them yesterday, and other than my white clouds they are the smallest fish in my tank (at about an inch to an inch and a half long a piece). Should they do okay? The seem fine up to now, they are rather skittish of the other fish so far...although they do like my 2 5-6" Bala Sharks whom are very gentle to the other fish.

Hi ShyGecko,

They should be fine in a community tank.
The male Kribs will reach about 4 inches and the females about 3 1/2 inches, so they won't be the second smallest in your tank for long.

I have a pair of Kribs in my Barb Tank.
(9 Tiger Barbs and 3 Salt and Pepper Cories).

Everything is fine most of the time, but when they breed, they tend to get a little territorial. The Tiger Barbs are pretty tough customers but they know better, and just stay away from the Krib's "territory".

You'll love the Kribensis, they are fascinating during the courtship/mating phase.
They have great personalities.

Enjoy.

Yes, kribs are very entertaining and interesting fish to have. Some cichlid breeders wont keep them because they don't consider breeding them a challenge :D . They do well in most water conditions, and I have mine with little harlequins and neons, which they don't bother. TO keep them happy, it is best to keep a pair. Put a couple flowerpots in the tank (just make sure that you don't puts them on other fish's territory). If they do breed, they will become rather aggressive protecting their young. However, they will very rarely kill other fish.

If you end up with a pair, you may want to consider moving the third krib to another tank or taking him back to the shop. Kribensis are pretty peaceful (as far as cichlids go) but they are excellent parents and will keep intruders away from their eggs/fry. The third krib will be seen as an intruder, so unless the aquarium is large enough for it to get away from the parents, he/she will have a very difficult time whenever the pair is spawning.

It may take some time for the kribs to settle in to their new surroundings. As mentioned above, new clay flower pots make excellent homes/breeding sites and'll probably make them feel more secure. Feed them a varied diet and you should have years of enjoyment from them and many future spawns. :D

Well, I have them in a 72 Gallon bow front, which is about 4 foot wide, 1 1/2 foot deep, and about 2 foot or more tall. Is that enough room for them? I also have TONS of rocks, caves, fake logs, and plants in there for them to hide behind and under. Is that good??

That should be enough room for the odd fish out. :wink:

One of the joys (and sometimes the aggravation) of keeping cichlids is that they're just like people: no two are alike. It'll really depend on how your paticular fish react to one another. But unless you've got Uber-parental types, your tank should be just fine. :D

Thought I would add in that Kribs are African Cichlids and they will do best in a water that has a pH of over 7.5.

Everyone else hit most of the other nails on the heads.

It's true that kribensis are African cichlids-- but they're found in the rivers of West Africa (Nigeria). They prefer water that is slightly acidic-to-neutral and do not thrive particularly well in water with a high pH, like their cousins in the Rift Lakes of East Africa do. The ideal pH for kribs is in the 6.8-7.2 range. They will accept a wide range of water parameters, but that range is important in obtaining an even M/F sex ratio with kribensis fry.

Hmm... I guess everything I have read about Kribs seems to discount this information... Perhaps that is because it is out-dated. Would you happen to have a source, Voodoo?

I'm not calling you a liar or anything. I would just like to have a link for my own personal notes.

Yeah, I'm a research freak.

Hi Biggen,

I am a research freak also. (I'm glad I'm not alone)

Kribs are quite flexible when it comes to pH, however, the pH will determine the sex of the offspring. I think alkaline water gives mainly males, while acid water gives mainly females.

Here are some links about Pelvachromis Pulcher (aka Kribensis);

http://www.fishindex.com/phpinfo//9/1-1//881
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1575
http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/fw/profile.asp?id=Pelvicachromis+pulcher
http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/P-pulcher.html

Unlike some of their close relatives, kribs are tolerant of a wide range of water parameters. Their range extends from soft, acid blackwater streams into the upper part of the Niger River delta, so they are happy in water that is hard, alkaline or even somewhat brackish. However, if the pH moves very far from neutral, you will get predominantly one sex in the offspring. They are river fish, so they need clean water.

I hope you find these helpful.

Hey guys, it's us research freaks that keep this place going properly!!

Never kept Kribensis, so I just learned some new stuff myself, Thanks!

Biggen-

No worries! :D I'm not sure if your sources are books or the Internet, but all of mine seem to pretty much say the same thing. If you're interested in the specific titles, I'd be glad to send them your way. I'm a big research geek too-- I don't have a huge library (yet :wink: ), but I'm working on it.

Cool. Thanks for the links and info guys.

One great thing about this board is that you never quit learning.

Back
Top Bottom