Kribs - are these the same strain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuckerp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are these two Kribs from the same strain? The 1st two pics are of the male (I think?) that I just brought home yesterday. The the other two pics are of the female (I think?). The guy at the lfs said they were the same strain but the colours are different. The new one with longer fins (the male I hope) is starting to get yellow cheeks like the female but I'm still not sure that they are a male / female from the same strain of krib.

If anyone could confirm that they are the same or different that would be great. Also if they appear to be a male and a female pair.

Lastly... If they are the same (and even if they are different) what's the likelihood of them pairing up and breeding??

Attachments

• image-303342426.jpg
    image-303342426.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 89
  • image-608685600.jpg
    image-608685600.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3174232137.jpg
    image-3174232137.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2702368751.jpg
    image-2702368751.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 82
Defiantly male and female. Telling the exact species I'm not sure as there are many species on plevicachromis that look very similar to pulcher. I will Say they are much more colorful than the pulchers I had

Thanks! That's good to hear that they are a male and female. If they are of a different variety will it reduce the chances of them pairing up and maybe breeding one day?

They both look like pelvicachromis pulcher now that I take a closer look. They breed like rabbits and don't sell for much if anything at all so beware.

Most of the kribs I've had didn't have that much yellow in them. Maybe they're a strain of a close relative. I bet these two will really color up!

EDIT: Now that I look at Google images on pelvicachromis pulcher many of them seem to also have lots of yellow.

Here's a picture of one of my pulchers.

47010-albums8877-picture49820.jpg

Last edited:
The female also has a different shaped mouth. It's not as pointed as the others I've seen. It's more rounded and the mouth is almost got the same characteristics as a koi. It's downward pointing and it's constantly picking up and sifting through sand...

The male has more of a forward facing... Pointed mouth.

Could this just be the difference between male/female or does it suggest a different variety?

EITHER WAY... If they are different varieties will they still breed with each other?

I really like the orange in the fins! Beauty fish.

Is there any significance to the number or size of spots on the fins?

I really like the orange in the fins! Beauty fish.

Is there any significance to the number or size of spots on the fins?

Thank you!

I'm not aware of any significance with the spots. I've seen spots all over both genders and had them without any spots.

I just thought I'd update this thread... After some research I found out that this strain is commonly called 'nigeria yellow'. Still haven't been able to find out much else. I'm assuming they will grow to the same size as a regular krib. I'll post more pics later but they are really coloring up nicely!

Back
Top Bottom