live plants with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessdore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive never had live plants before. I would like to add some to my cichlid tank. I was woundering what would be the best plants . And how hard are they to keep.?:blink:

Well im getting my new tank tomorrow so im not sure on the lighting.what would you use? And i have a varity of africans and a pleco.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

"African cichlids" doesn't tell me much but I'll go out on a limb and guess you have Mbuna and/or Peacocks. That being said there's really no plants that go well with then because they tend to just eat them all.

Some people have had mixed success with Anubias or Java fern. When I had Malawi haps, peacocks and Mbuna in the past they would eat all plants down to nubs or uproot them with in a day.

For lighting I like the Finnex Ray LED fixtures.

Ooops sorry yes your right on :) and ok ty so much.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My mbuna in the past ripped my moss balls to shred, there are no plants that will survive in the tank. As stated, anubias and java fern had mixed success, I'm on the side that didn't have good results with it :p.

Plastic the best

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Swords and big ones. I've had the best results getting the plants large and the fish small. So far the worst I've had happen is the odd leaf nibbled on and once or twice a plant uprooted.

All cichlids are unique in personality, I've raised mine from fry and started them in a planted environment. They do eat the diying leaves and clean the alge from the plants. (convicts,auroras and ob's and other semi aggressive fish) So take a chance get a low-med light plant, if it last 2 weeks u should be good

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394768923.226636.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394768964.761586.jpg
Heathy and sending off shoots. I've got 8 baby swords so far with a dozen more growing before I clip them. If you can keep them I think plants are worth the hassle. In addition to what they do to benefit the water they also give a place for hurt fish to hide out. Always a plus with cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom