Made a HUGE mistake today!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a water valve plumbed into my tank to make replacing evaporated water quick and easy. When I came home for lunch I turned it off and totally forgot all about it. When I came home tonight I discovered it. Not concerned about the mess but my fish are laying on the bottom! The water got WAY too cold! Noticed my heater had quit working as well at some point. Water is at 55. I've thrown the heater from my 45g in the sump and have a heat gun aimed the water surface of the sump. Any luck or precautions one could throw my way would be great! What are the odds they make it out of this OK? This is my 76g half round and it is taken FOREVER to warm.....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't heat it up to fast, gradual is key here.. the next week feed them well and keep them happy, if they're not dead they will be stressed and susceptible to disease and sickness..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't heat it up to fast, gradual is key here.. the next week feed them well and keep them happy, if they're not dead they will be stressed and susceptible to disease and sickness..

+1
Gradual can't be stressed enough here. If they survived the plunging temps they can survive a slow and steady rise in temp done right. Reduce stress and like Brookster said, keep em full and cut down on all non-essential stressors.

Well I thought I'd update....my 9" Jack Dempsey seems to be doing fine as well as my Placo. I lost the 10" Gold Severum. He was seemingly struggling but OK when I left for work this morning but didn't last until I got home. Now I'm worried about 1 of my favorites, a 9" Livingstonii. He's laying on his side and even found him upside down once. He seems to be breathing fairly heavy.

When I caught things yesterday the temp was 55, 60, when I got home tonight. I did a 10% water change, adding warm water bringing it to 67.

The central and the plec probably wont have a problem with the low temp.

That was a beautiful fish. I'd like to get one for the 75 gal tank I just set up. It's cycling now so I'll until I'm certain the tank is okay before I get one. Anything you can tell me about them?

Glad to hear the other two made it but real sorry about your loss :(
I know what it's like to lose a severum.

Lost my Livingstonii over night..... :(ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420904876.451666.jpg

Sorry to hear this. I thought you might have some problems with the ones that need higher temps. I was hoping not.

Awww man... really sorry for all this:(

Could you ad a pic of your Dempsey

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could you ad a pic of your Dempsey?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom