Micro Sword and cichlids.... Does it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cterzich

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been looking for some kind of glass like plant for my tank. I really like the micro sword alot, but I get mix reviewed on if the cichlid will eat it. Do the Malawi cichlids eat the Micro Sword? If anyone has any feed back please let through it out!

Thanks!

If malawi cichlids were raised with plants they will leave them alone. If not then there is a good likelyhood they will either eat them or tear them up. You will not know till you try mind you.

mine were obviously not raised with plants, i had a few in there and they were gone in a matter of minutes... now sonomakid put some plants in his tank and all has been well for over a week now... its going to be a hit or miss thing... my best advice is try some cheap plants first before spending any money on anything... and always be prepared for them to be eaten

Cichlids do NOT like plants. Stick to rocks/driftwood. My $0.02.

Cichlids do NOT like plants. Stick to rocks/driftwood. My $0.02.

actually its the opposite, which is the reason most people cant keep them... they LOVE plants lol. They love them so much, they eat them and its pointless adding them 9/10 times, unless it is some sort of cichlid like discus or angels, they seem to do well with plants

Even if they don't eat them, there is a chance they'll dig it up. I wouldn't chance it after all the planting required with microsword. I'd be livid if they dug it up! Let us know how it works out though.

I was always of the mind that they don't like "tough plants" like anubias, but mine are even eating that! I'd imagine your grass dreams will become a nightmare, but give it a shot... good luck!

I have some leftover crypt that I think would look nice in my cichlid tank, they are about the same size as yours so I will let you know what mine do to it.

I have dwarf sag, jungle val, anubias, crypts and different javas with our cichlids and there is no problem with them tearing anything up. We keep JDs, firemouths, a jewel, catfish and a pleco (didn't have the heart to give him away) along with some giant danios.

If you want a grassy plant, try the dwarf sag. It's tough enough to be in our brackish tank too.

I've got some jungle val in mine with 3 red zebras, a yellow lab, a strawberry peacock, and a kenyi and none of them really acknowledge it exists. They're all about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long and this setup has been running for a few weeks now and the vals have been in there since the start.

Back
Top Bottom