Midas Cichlid is atacking his tankmates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ted630

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help on what to do with my Midas Cichlid, he is attacking almost all of his tankmates. He just started doing it yesterday. The only fish in the tank that he hasn't attacked is the Rainbow Shark. When I woke up this morning, I found out that he ate my Tiger Oscars entire tail. Both Oscars are terrified of him, even though their twice his size. He chases my Firemouth Cichlid all over the tank. It's a good thing the Firemouth faster and more agile, otherwise he would have been killed already. Then he had the nerve to pick on my Plecostomus, who was innocently cleaning the glass. I was happy to see the Plecostomus fight back and scare him away. I just couldn't take it anymore, so I got him out of the tank and into a glass bowl. Now, what can I do with him? I thought about taking him back to Petsmart, but it's past 14 days. Any ideas on what I can do with this angry fish?

He is about 3 inches long. I don't think he's the Red Devil variety, because he is a light orange.

[center:85bec635f3] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, ted630! :n00b: [/center:85bec635f3]
Aside from smacking it upside the head and telling it to be good, your options are limited. I happen to be dealing with an opposite problem in my Mbuna tank--all of them kill any fish that gets added, but leave each other alone!!!
Okay, before I go spouting off, please provide some background. How big is the tank? How many/which fish are in the tank? How large are they? What are you using as decor/hiding places in the tank? What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp)? Finally, how long has the tank been set up and when were the fish added?

I've had the tank for a month. The 2 Oscars and Midas Cichlid were the first fish put into the tank. I then added a Plecostomus followed by a Rainbow Shark a week later. The final addition was a Firemouth Cichlid. I have 7 fake plants and a extra large hidding cave which the Midas Cichlid took claim right a way. If any fish other than Rainbow Shark go near the cave he'll chase them away. I'm surprised he lets the Rainbow Shark share the cave with him. I also have a smaller cave, which the Firemouth Cichlid hangs out. I think I'm going to attempt to return the Midas to Petsmart not for a refund or anything, just give him back. I just don't know what else to do with him. I can't put him back in the tank, because I'm sure he will kill my other fish. I feel so bad for my Tiger Oscar, will his tail ever grow back?

I'm surprised he lets the Rainbow Shark share the cave with him.
Because the shark poses no threat--it does not look like him, will not compete for mates, or food.

Have you QTed the Oscar? I would treat with Melafix to prevent secondary infection.

Bring the Midas back--you are correct, it will not improve.

Red Devil and Midas cichlid are two common names for C. citrinella: a large, aggressive cichlid that tends to make short work of tankmates.

At three inches, he's probably reached the initial stages of sexual maturity- hence the aggressive, territorial behaviour. It'll only get worse. I'm afraid your options are fairly limited: either set up a tank of his own (keeping in mind these guys can reach a foot in length), or trade him in to a fish shop.

I really wish the chain stores would do a better job of informing unsuspecting customers about cichlid behaviour and planning suitable stocking plans. Your Midas isn't being "mean": he's simply acting as he would in the wild, without the luxury of LOTS of space for him and his neighbors to be content.

Hope this helps-
Steven

Thanks for the advice! I was a little upset the guy in the fish department gave me bad information and more upset with myself for not doing enough research. I told him that it was a brand new 75 gallon tank and I want to get a Tiger Oscar and a Plecostomus for sure, what other fish should I get? He told me to wait a week for the Plecostomus, because the ones they had were too small. He then told me the Tiger Oscar is the most aggressive Cichlid. So, he suggested the Albino Tiger Oscar, Jack Dempsey, Midas Cichlid, & the Green Terror Cichlid as his tankmates. I asked about a Red Oscar, but he said the Tiger Oscar would kill him right away. He told me whatever fish I pick, do not mix African Cichlids with South American Cichlids. So after taking his advice, I chose the Albino Tiger Oscar and Midas Cichlid. I'm going to try to return the Midas today, I hope they accept him.

That's way too many fish for that tank for one. You should return the oscars as even one oscar needs about 100 gallons to itself. After you get rid of the oscars and the red devil the aggression should start to subside. However, unless you pretty much return all the fish, except the pleco the aggression will never go away.

Bottom line, you can't really mix large predatory SA cichlids unless you have a very large tank and sorry to say that 75 gallons is nowhere near how big of a tank you'll need.

If the store you bought them at won't accept them, I'm sure another shop in the area will.

My wife tried to return the Midas Cichlid today, but Petsmart refused to take him back. Another customer overheard the conversation and offered to take the fish from my wife. She asked my wife what kind of fish it was, but wife didn't know and told her that he was attacking our Oscars. She then told my wife he would fit in with her tank full of African Cichlids. I hope he works out for her. Has anyone ever had success mixing an African Cichlid with a South American Cichlids in the same tank? I can remember back in college, my roommate had an Oscar, Pike Cichlid, Electric Blue Cichlid, and a couple different types of Catfish together in a 90 gallon tank. They all seemed to get along fine.

midas and red devil are completly differnt fish as they get older, red devils have larger lips than the midas and diff behaviors as well as colorings, it is also the opinion of many including myself who have had several of each species, that the red devil is not territorial, but just goes looking for a fight, whereas the midas is in fact a peacefull fish, bought mine from p smart also,, after i figured out the difference the manager and i had a looong chat about the ability to id fish and sell them resposibly

ted630 said:
My wife tried to return the Midas Cichlid today, but Petsmart refused to take him back. Another customer overheard the conversation and offered to take the fish from my wife. She asked my wife what kind of fish it was, but wife didn't know and told her that he was attacking our Oscars. She then told my wife he would fit in with her tank full of African Cichlids. I hope he works out for her. Has anyone ever had success mixing an African Cichlid with a South American Cichlids in the same tank? I can remember back in college, my roommate had an Oscar, Pike Cichlid, Electric Blue Cichlid, and a couple different types of Catfish together in a 90 gallon tank. They all seemed to get along fine.

Having past success with incompatible fish is never a good reason to try it again. Some fish are different individuals and will tolerate more than others.

I HIGHLY recommend going somewhere other than petsmart for your aquarium needs.
Any local aquarium shop will accept the fish you need to get rid of. ASAP.

cdawson's got a point, i use the p smart for sale items, hardware etc,, they hate to see me comin and i love it

thats whats so frustrating about aggresive fish.... they all have different personalities, and act diferently, it sucks....

Glasstapper:

I assumed it was C. citrinellum, rather than C. labiatum because the fish was bought at a PetSmart (the cits are MUCH more common than the labis), but you're right- both species get tagged as "red devils".

I'm curious about all the stuff Ted was told about tigers being aggressive and the albino tigers aren't, etc? An oscar is an oscar IME, and color variation has nothing to do with temperment.

Man, there should be a placement test you have to pass before you can sell fish...;)

color variation has nothing to do with temperment.
yea voodoo i didnt mean any connection tween temp. and color, just that midas and devils while young may look similar, change with age
Man, there should be a placement test you have to pass before you can sell fish
amen to that !!!!!! most places just want to know if you can bag fish :lol:

glasstapper said:
color variation has nothing to do with temperment.
yea voodoo i didnt mean any connection tween temp. and color, just that midas and devils while young may look similar, change with age
Man, there should be a placement test you have to pass before you can sell fish
amen to that !!!!!! most places just want to know if you can bag fish :lol:

IMHO nowadays working in a petshop should start to be considered an actual job. With all the environmental problems and conservation going on this should be an actual consideration. These are LIVE animals and the people selling them should actual have consideration for an know ALOT about what they're selling. Licenses should be required for purchasing live animals as well. There are three kinds of people in pet keeping, those who really know what they're doing, those who are on their way to really know what they're doing and those who haven't the slighest idea of what they're actually doing.

My biggest problem was that I trusted an employee's opinion than getting facts from the internet. It started first in selecting my tank. I told a different employee that I wanted a tank big enough to hold 3 Oscars. He suggested a 55 gallon tank, I went an extra size up and bought the 75 gallon tank. When I came back a week later to stock the tank, I was given more bad information from a different employee. Petsmart should do a much better training there employees about each fish's requirements and compatability. I can only imagine how many other customers have had problems due to their inexperienced people in the fish department.

Back
Top Bottom