More cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mogurako said:
Its a very outdated rule of thumb I wouldn't even bother with it. Ask members of the forum and use your best judgement why figuring out if you are stocked.

Ok, I didn't realize, thanks.

Ok, I didn't realize, thanks.

Take my 90 gallon tank that I am setting up for example, I will have 184" of fish which by that rule would be overstocked but all the fish while longer are fairly slender and have smaller bioloads and will be just fine, I could actually squeeze in a few more fish if i wanted. Plus i will be running 2 larger canister filters and doing 20-40% weekly water changes.

Mogurako said:
Take my 90 gallon tank that I am setting up for example, I will have 184" of fish which by that rule would be overstocked but all the fish while longer are fairly slender and have smaller bioloads and will be just fine, I could actually squeeze in a few more fish if i wanted. Plus i will be running 2 larger canister filters and doing 20-40% weekly water changes.

Wow! Cool! I wish I could do something like that! And thanks for the info.

Mogurako said:
You can with the right size tank, I have a 48x18x22 inch tank. Plenty of room side to side and front to back.

That's four feet! My room already looks like a furniture store! (i have a ten gallon goldfish tank; and I know that I should have something more like 20, but my mom doesn't care, and wants it gone) :p

Yep it takes up a little bit of room but its in the kitchen so its all good. Maybe you can talk your mom into having a nice display tank in the living room.

Mogurako said:
Yep it takes up a little bit of room but its in the kitchen so its all good. Maybe you can talk your mom into having a nice display tank in the living room.

Quite possibly... Thanks.

That's why I asked. Mog covered the 1"/gal myth. I just wanted to add though that when stocking, always remember to make your decisions with the full grown length of the species you're considering.

I would also consider looking for some really good looking freshwater tanks on the internet, and showing those to your mom ;)

roundar said:
That's why I asked. Mog covered the 1"/gal myth. I just wanted to add though that when stocking, always remember to make your decisions with the full grown length of the species you're considering.

I would also consider looking for some really good looking freshwater tanks on the internet, and showing those to your mom ;)

Haha, ok, I will. And as for the full length thing, thts what I do. :)

Mogurako said:
As stated Africans and SA should never be housed together because of the differences in aggression, diet and water needs. What type of fish you should lean towards is none. The current stocking of your tank has no planning an needs to be adressed. Peaceful community fish like the cories and tetra should not be put in with aggressive cichlids, it's just cruel because they will be killed.

Hex tanks are very hard to stock because the have the volume fish need but not the width and depth. Such as the Acei, it is a very active fish and requires a 6' tank minimum. I would rehome all the cichlids, pictus and pleco and get smaller peaceful community fish like more cories, tetra, a rubberlip/bushynose pleco, dwarf groumis.

Are there any bigger tropical fish that get colorful? Because right now I'm contacting people about rehoming, and I want to start thinking about what I want.

angels maybe meaning 2 (if im wrong correct me) and/or smaller schooling fish would be ideal such as neon tetras.

T-man02 said:
angels maybe meaning 2 (if im wrong correct me) and/or smaller schooling fish would be ideal such as neon tetras.

Tman may be on the right track. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Mogurako said:
Tman may be on the right track. What are the dimensions of the tank?

It a 60 hexagon. It's 24" point to point, and 24" tall. These are not exact, but very very close.

So angelfish, and smaller schooling fish? Would barbs work? If so, what kinds?

It a 60 hexagon. It's 24" point to point, and 24" tall. These are not exact, but very very close.

So angelfish, and smaller schooling fish? Would barbs work? If so, what kinds?

When you say point to point, do you mean two of the furthest points apart? If that were the case, it sounds like a 35 gallon tank. What is the length of one side? If it measures ~11.5 inches, that would confirm that it is in fact 35 gallons, not an uncommon hex tank size.

roundar said:
When you say point to point, do you mean two of the furthest points apart? If that were the case, it sounds like a 35 gallon tank. What is the length of one side? If it measures ~11.5 inches, that would confirm that it is in fact 35 gallons, not an uncommon hex tank size.

It's sixty gallons, there's a green tag on the bottom that says aqueon 60 gal Aquarium. And I ordered a sixty gallon aquarium hood, and it takes 60 gallons to fill it up.

roundar said:

In sorry, I made a mistake, it's 27.5 point to point.

Back
Top Bottom