More cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puffymcstuff

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey!
I've got, in a 60 gallon hex, 3 africans, 1 south American, 1 skirt tetra (hanging on for dear life), 2 corys and 2 picti (?), and a 8-9" pleco.
I want to fill in my tank, because as of right now, I'm only taking up about half my tank space. I was wondering what to buy.

African and South American cichlids shouldn't be mixed at all. They come from very different environments. Why don't you pick one or the other, then you can decide how to stock your tank. Since you have a few SA fish anyway, why not go with a South American community tank?

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
African and South American cichlids shouldn't be mixed at all. They come from very different environments. Why don't you pick one or the other, then you can decide how to stock your tank. Since you have a few SA fish anyway, why not go with a South American community tank?

--Adeeb

I have 1 south American... And 3 Africans... I just wanna know which I should lean more towered.

I have 1 SA and 3 Africans... Which should I lean more towards?

My bumblebee and acei. The bumblebee has gotten an inch bigger than that.

Attachments

• image-2328187566.jpg
    image-2328187566.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 133
That's an interesting mix of fish you have. Honestly, I wouldn't look at stocking anything new at this point and rather go back to the drawing board about the type of fish that you want to keep and redesign your stock list with a more compatible mix.

I hope that 8-9 inch pleco isn't the common pleco. Can you confirm the type?

Puffymcstuff said:
Hey!
I've got, in a 60 gallon hex, 3 africans, 1 south American, 1 skirt tetra (hanging on for dear life), 2 corys and 2 picti (?), and a 8-9" pleco.
I want to fill in my tank, because as of right now, I'm only taking up about half my tank space. I was wondering what to buy.

As stated Africans and SA should never be housed together because of the differences in aggression, diet and water needs. What type of fish you should lean towards is none. The current stocking of your tank has no planning an needs to be adressed. Peaceful community fish like the cories and tetra should not be put in with aggressive cichlids, it's just cruel because they will be killed.

Hex tanks are very hard to stock because the have the volume fish need but not the width and depth. Such as the Acei, it is a very active fish and requires a 6' tank minimum. I would rehome all the cichlids, pictus and pleco and get smaller peaceful community fish like more cories, tetra, a rubberlip/bushynose pleco, dwarf groumis.

Mogurako said:
As stated Africans and SA should never be housed together because of the differences in aggression, diet and water needs. What type of fish you should lean towards is none. The current stocking of your tank has no planning an needs to be adressed. Peaceful community fish like the cories and tetra should not be put in with aggressive cichlids, it's just cruel because they will be killed.

Hex tanks are very hard to stock because the have the volume fish need but not the width and depth. Such as the Acei, it is a very active fish and requires a 6' tank minimum. I would rehome all the cichlids, pictus and pleco and get smaller peaceful community fish like more cories, tetra, a rubberlip/bushynose pleco, dwarf groumis.

Hey mister!
I've had these fish, all except two of the cichlids, since august of last year! And they all get along fine! I'm not on this thread to be told to take my hardworrk apart!

It started as a tropical community, and I decide to convert to cichlids, the corys are fine, and the tetras almost dead.
So please just answer my question! What cichlids should I buy (don't tell me not to get anything!!)

Nobody is telling you to take your hard work and tear it apart. But, whether the fish get along or not isn't the issue (well, not at this point). You have several fish that need considerably larger aquariums. A common pleco (if that's what you mean by 'traditional', needs a huge tank, as they can get 2'. Acei are VERY active swimmers, and keeping them in anything less than a 4' tanks is not good, but they really need a 6' tank. The bumblebee needs a 4' tank.

We can certainly recommend fish for that tank, but not until the fish that are in it are upgraded to a bigger, more appropriate sized, tank. Nobody is going to recommend any more fish for the tank you currently have.

Puffymcstuff said:
Hey mister!
I've had these fish, all except two of the cichlids, since august of last year! And they all get along fine! I'm not on this thread to be told to take my hardworrk apart!

It started as a tropical community, and I decide to convert to cichlids, the corys are fine, and the tetras almost dead.
So please just answer my question! What cichlids should I buy (don't tell me not to get anything!!)

Hey mister,
When people tell you the truth about your situation, dont tell them they are not answering your question.

African is better with african, SA is better with SA and CA and cory plus tetra dont feel good with em!!
And one year or two is not long for fish who live for more that 7 years...

Every one here tell you what you should do but honestly, if that upset you, doing anything without taking natural need of every species before aquiring them can be done by anyone without advice.

You are not force to change anything, but with what you have in there, there is nothing to add that will be good for the community for now, so no one will help if that get you mad.

Nobody here want to be bad or take your hrdwork apart...

Just an opinion!

That's exactly what I am going to tell you because IMO/E that's what type of cichlid you should add is none. The reason being is the currently state of your tank needs to be addressed first. I can almost guarantee everyone else on this site will recommend the same course of action. Just because you do not like the constructive criticism that myself and others give is no reason to be defensive, just take it in stride and learn from it. I will only give advice based on what is best for the fish not what is the most convenient for the owner. Fish don't have any choice in the matter when we put them in these little glass cages so it is our responsibility as aquaristto learn all we can and provide he best care for these fish as we can.

Just because this set up has worked so far doesn't mean it will work long term. These fish will get big and will get mean, all those passive community fish end up in the cross-hairs when the territory disputes start. Just for the record I am not trying to be mean here but I simply refuse to sugarcoat thing when it comes to the well being of the fish. (y)

Hey!

What do you mean taking up half your tank size? Can you elaborate for me?

Hey mister,
When people tell you the truth about your situation, dont tell them they are not answering your question.

African is better with african, SA is better with SA and CA and cory plus tetra dont feel good with em!!
And one year or two is not long for fish who live for more that 7 years...

Every one here tell you what you should do but honestly, if that upset you, doing anything without taking natural need of every species before aquiring them can be done by anyone without advice.

You are not force to change anything, but with what you have in there, there is nothing to add that will be good for the community for now, so no one will help if that get you mad.

Nobody here want to be bad or take your hrdwork apart...

Just an opinion!

Testify!!!!!!!!:popcorn:

I'm really sorry if I got defensive, it's just that I'm really disappointed that my aquarium went from a great tropical community to this crap. :(

roundar said:
What do you mean taking up half your tank size? Can you elaborate for me?

It's one inch of fish per gallon and I'm taking up only like 30-32 inches of space.

I'm really sorry if I got defensive, it's just that I'm really disappointed that my aquarium went from a great tropical community to this crap. :(

It was a tropical community with cichlids thrown in it, you have now seen first hand why it is important to keep compatibility and proper tank size in mind when stocking. Don't discouraged just learn from this experience.

Mogurako said:
That rule doesn't take in to account the fishes mass and bioload, you cant have a 10" Oscar in a 10 gallon.

I realize, I was just giving the rule of thumb.

Back
Top Bottom