Most Dominant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who will come out on top?

• Snow White Socolofi: P. socolofi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Empress: P. taeniolatus

• Yellow Lab: L. caeruleus

• Cobalt Blue: M. callainos

• Total voters

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which of the following male malawi cichlid do you think will become the dominant male in my tank?

i have already noticed one come out and dominated the others, lets see if it is who you think it would be... :D

I'm going to say the Cobalt even though the Ps. Socolofi is the dom fish in my tank. And that is with a Melanochromis species in there. I've read that the Zebras can be real meanies...

LOL So sorry. I didn't even notice that it was a poll. Just clicked straight from my email notification. Sorry J.

I voted the Cobalt. I have Snow White Socolofis in my tank and they were a little aggressive at first, but now my Cobues (which are smaller) keep them in line, so I don't think the Socolofis are that aggressive. But it probably varies from fish to fish as to just how dominant and aggressive they will be. :)

I have three of those species in my tank (socolofi, yellow labs, cobalt blue zebra). In my opinion the cobalt blue zebra is predisposed to be a more dominant fish (tho' not necessarily more aggressive, if that makes sense).

In my experience socolofi can be very aggressive towards less aggressive fish, but will back down from dominant fish (which may or may not be aggressive). I keep mine with various zebras. The zebras are less belligerent but won't take any cr*p from the socolofi.

However the particular set-up as well as the individual personality of the fish are also factors as to which fish actually come out on top.

I too have had all three species and it never fails :
L. caeruleus- always turns out to be the "chicken"
M. callainos-P. socolofi-will battle it out with
P. socolofi backing down.

Edit: Sorry I forgot about this guy,
P. taeniolatus will guard his territory to the death while breeding. Once the breeding is over, he will no longer protect that breeding spot and will go about his business in open water.

Hummmm....at this moment one person has voted for my male Red Empress
None has votes for the Lab...Interesting...
7 votes for the cobalt
5 votes for the Snow White

i think i will let you have another 24 hours b4 revealing who is right :D

i voted for the socolofi.
that being said, i saw two very aggressive labs in two different lfs'. the first one was dominating two oscars, and two tilapia buttikoferi's. the second one was dominating a breeding pair of convicts in a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom