Multi Shelli Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 long with 3 multis and 4 fry. The female stays around the upper left corner near a shell which contains the 4 fry. (It could be more I have only ever seen 4 at the most). The other female that is not part of the breeding pair stays up toward the top of the tank. This upsets the male every few minutes or so and he chases her around. The odd female out refuses to hide in a shell. I have over 30 shells in the tank. I am considering adding a rock formation or two, but I am not sure it will help. It almost seems like the other female is trying to get the attention of the male.

So, my questions are should I be worried and should I add a rock formation to break up the sight lines of the tank?

Sounds like the other female is a male. These are typically very open to breeding in harems, so the other fish being bullied would suggest that it's a male IMO. I would remove the bullied fish and rehome it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup, no way that a male multi would reject another female. I would bet anything it's another male. Swap the male for a whole bunch of females!

Well, I thought it might be another male but now the male is no longer chasing, but hanging around a specific shell with the fish in question. That fish is also the smallest fish of the bunch. The fry are getting larger and going into different shells. They hide as soon as I walk up to the tank. I have been pounding NLS food with a mortar and pestle and directing the food towards their shells with an eye dropper.

Back
Top Bottom