Multiple pseudotropheus together ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. I'm working on stock list for new 90 gallon mbuna setup and am curious if I can keep more than one pseudotropheus type without huge problems. Like the flavus and saulosi but don't want interbreeding. I think they're not too similar looking. Also want Polit in there along w tropheops elongatus boadzulu and some ps elongatus jewel spot (ruarwe). Would be doing a male and some females of each and maybe some more open water types like acei and or peacock (I know not mbuna). I've only kept the peacocks and saulosi with my current mixed mbuna so any input is appreciated on your experiences w the others! They do ok although i notived the peacocks are kinda shy and hang back but theyre beautiful and arent picked on. Thanks oh and also any orange based mbuna that don't get too big other than zebras? Might wanna don that too

With that size of tank, and a good aquascape, shouldn't be bad. Malawi Mbuna mixes can work well. No experience with red jewels, but do some research. Interbreeding can/will be inevitable if you mix that many females per species. Just my opinion.

With that size of tank, and a good aquascape, shouldn't be bad. Malawi Mbuna mixes can work well. No experience with red jewels, but do some research. Interbreeding can/will be inevitable if you mix that many females per species. Just my opinion.

Thanks. I think u confused re jewels for jewel spot pseudotropheus elongatus. no jjewel cichlids - i think their haplochromis? i like the pseudotropheus cichlids but think that if I give each male multiple females that don't look too much alike then ill keep from any hybridization. My hopes at least!

So I stocked today. Got 6 labidochromis chisumulae, 6 ps flavus, 7 ps saulosi, and 6 white top hara. Retained 1 acei, 1 unknown, 1 yell lab, 1 tropheus, and 1 ob peacock oh and bushy pleco. Would I be ok to add a couple more male peacocks (lemon jake and German red?) or could I do like 4 textilus? Or leave as is at 30 fish. Seems like a lot now to me. All are 2 inch or less except peacock , pleco , and tropheus. Looks great right now

Back
Top Bottom