Beginner - 60g Mbuna African Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never kept the demasoni myself, but in looking at the articles on-line, it appears that that should be a good combination and those are decent starting numbers as well. The key mentioned in several of the articles is lots and lots of caves and hiding places.

Thanks again! Here's about my fifth try at aquascaping. Hopefully it is enough rocks because it is difficult to stack them any higher with only 12" tank depth.

I've read demasoni can be pretty aggressive to each other so thinking about going with this instead:
5 yellow labs
5 cobalt blue zebra
5 rusties

Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400553975081.jpg
    1400553975081.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 166
Started another thread so I could do a poll, but wanted to keep this with my current thread.

Anyways, as my tank is almost cycled, I've chatted with a breeder where I can get 20 Pseudotropheus Demasoni fry, 10 Labidochromis Caeruleus (yellow lab) fry, and 10 Pseudotropheus Acei fry for about $125 with 1 day shipping.

I figure this route I can remove the extra males and get down to a good m/f ratio, with about 12 demasoni, 6 yellow lab and 5 acei. Seems like a good price.

AqAdvisor says (at the final reduced stock level) my filtration is ok with a single Eheim 2217 (116%), overstocked (149%, normal to overstock cichilds) and recommends 44% water changes weekly.

What do you think about that approach and stocking levels?

Thanks,
Scott

Went ahead and ordered the 20xdemasoni, 10xyellow lab, 10xacei this morning. They are going to be delivered in 2 weeks.

Right now I have the small (1mm) NLS cichlid pellets. Will 1/2"-1" fry be able to eat these? Should I break them up? Should I be feeding them something different?

Thanks!
Scott

Hi everyone, got my fish today! Special thanks to WyRenegade, Squirrelafish, Xlarronlx, and everyone else who helped me get this set up!

20 Demasoni, 10 yellow labs and 10 acei - I plan to remove some males when they are big enough to determine sex to get down a lower number. I'm leaving the power head of as some of the fish are still pretty small.

Here's some pictures with fish:

Attachments

• 1403668058038.jpg
    1403668058038.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 1403668077531.jpg
    1403668077531.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 177
Another picture, they are getting bigger, some up to 2".

I am at 10 yellow lab, 10 acei, 20 demasoni. Can anyone suggest when I should try to pull some males out? Wait until they are bigger? Until there is aggression from the males? Until the nitrates start to creep up? I'm doing weekly 40-50% water changes and the nitrates stay low <10ppm.

Attachments

• 1405468598548.jpg
    1405468598548.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 135
I was doing my weekly 50% water change and I noticed I have some fry - they are so tiny! I think it might be the grow labs.
Ì have been traveling for work a lot the last month and didn't even realized anyone was holding.

Here's my current setup, it's been about a year since getting these fish as fry. I feel pretty good, I haven't lost a single fish yet! The way they move sand is pretty amazing. I still have 40, the aggression isn't bad and my water change schedule still keeps nitrates low (<10ppm)

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1431054889920.jpg
    1431054889920.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 128
Nice tank. I have a 55g peacock tank with a few cichlids (started this past winter) and a few other fish such as rainbow fish, a ropefish, a one spot domino syno, and a Hi fin spotted pleco. I will post a picture in a little bit.

Nice tank fantastic!

My demasoni are pretty well behaved, but i have 20. Actually my yellow labs are probably the most aggressive, the alpha male lab is boss. He is the only one allowed in the fake plastic temple and chases away all intruders.

Oh and i believe all the fry have been eaten. That's ok, 40 is plenty :)

Nice tank fantastic!

My demasoni are pretty well behaved, but i have 20. Actually my yellow labs are probably the most aggressive, the alpha male lab is boss. He is the only one allowed in the fake plastic temple and chases away all intruders.

Thanks, and your lab sounds like a king. You should name him The Fish King or TFK for short.

The fish king. I like it! He already has to turn a little bit sideways to fit through the door...

Back
Top Bottom