Beginner - 60g Mbuna African Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, just ordered some ammonium chloride, api test kit, 300w heater and Eheim 2217 canister filter so i should start the fishless cycling next week.

Need to decide between sand or gravel for the bottom and get some rocks/decorations

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been reading and was thinking about setting up a under gravel jet setup and going with sand. White sand and I have some limestone rocks from the yard and mix it in with a painted mix of plumbing pipe as I read it makes for a good hiding area.

If anyone experience with diy ugj I'd live to hear it.

Thanks, just ordered some ammonium chloride, api test kit, 300w heater and Eheim 2217 canister filter so i should start the fishless cycling next week.

Need to decide between sand or gravel for the bottom and get some rocks/decorations

Spot on with your equipment. I have syno petricola, if I remember rightly. I would go with sand as mbuna love sifting through it but gravel seems more entertaining to watch when they make their holes for territory etc... limestone rocks are great for decoration. I have a fake planted area with driftwood too which is nicely set out for fry :) saves me stripping or moving the mother to another tank

Went and looked at Jack's today, much better selection than Petsmart.

Re-read wy renegades initial suggestion and changed my mind - thinking of 4 yellow lab and 4 cobalt blue zebra, they seem closer in adult size, are both lake Malawi in origin, and both available at the new LFS.

See how that goes and then maybe add either red zebras, snow whites or syno petricola at a later time.

Thanks to all, will post pictures once things are set up!
Scott

I would research carefully before adding a DIY undergravel jet set and using sand on top of it. My experience with fine sediment over a undergravel filter is that it blows all the sediment all over the tank.

Went and looked at Jack's today, much better selection than Petsmart.

Re-read wy renegades initial suggestion and changed my mind - thinking of 4-5 yellow lab and 4-5 cobalt blue zebra, they seem closer in adult size, are both lake Malawi in origin, and both available at the new LFS.

See how that goes and then maybe add 3 syno petricola at a later time.

Thanks to all, will post pictures once things are set up!
Scott

I would research carefully before adding a DIY undergravel jet set and using sand on top of it. My experience with fine sediment over a undergravel filter is that it blows all the sediment all over the tank.

Thanks, makes sense. I think I will see how the filter is doing and then maybe add one of those hydro koralia pumps if needed.

Thanks!

Set up the tank last night. Will add the the rocks and starting the cycling with ammonium chloride and add some dechlorinator tonight. Have a api master kit for testing. My daughter wants to know where are the fish? :)

Attachments

• 1398988436306.jpg
    1398988436306.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 161
Get sand! Cichlids need sand they once you put plenty of rocks in your tank. The cichlid will scoop sand into there mouths and spit it out somewhere else that's how they make there homes and they do it all the time

Thanks! I added a bit more sand, so probably about 75 lbs. I was hoping the temple piece i ordered would be in today, but maybe tomorrow. Need to clean the rocks still.

Still planning on staying with 5 yellow labs and 5 cobalt blue zebra.

Using pool filter sand and the filter cleaned it up after about 24 hours

My first try at aquascaping. Suggestions, potential problems?

Thinking of adding some plants for background maybe? I've read that there are certain types best for cichlid like spiral val.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1399147482137.jpg
    1399147482137.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 165
If I'm not mistaken, driftwood makes your ph levels go down so I would say use the fake decoration instead of the real thing. Try to add some rocks and hiding places for them too.

Ok, I'm going to give the aquascape another try with some more rocks more crevices and caves, I'll post another picture later.

Live plants? I bought a fake plant to try and mask the heater and filter and was thinking some natural plants would be nice. From what I've read cichlids are notorious for digging/shredding plants, but I've also read some people who've success with Anubias, thinking about trying some and leaving it in the planters in the tank.

Aquabid is a cool site! Thinking about 5 Anubias for $30 free shipping:
AquaBid.com - Item # liveplantsr1400367030 - 5 Anubias Nana Gold potted FREE SHIPING - Ends: Sat May 17 2014 - 05:50:30 PM CDT

Thanks!!
Scott

My second shot at aquascaping. Still might try to add a few more rocks, but it is tough stacking rocks in a 24" high but only 12" deep tank.

My wife said she liked the previous symmetrical setup but this is more natural and more hiding spots for the fish.

Any suggestions on this setup? Been cycling for a week at about 83F and 2-3ppm ammonia.

Thanks!
Scott

Attachments

• 1399518535982.jpg
    1399518535982.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 154
I like it, it's hard scaping a 12" tank. But it looks good, have plenty of swimming room, and good hiding places.

Thanks!

Added 1 anubias congensis and 1 anubias nana, kind of suck them in rock crevices. We'll see what happens.

Still no activity on cycling, nitrites and nitrates still at 0

This is strobe.is.boss I wouldn't get decorations for the tank cause cichlids need a crap ton of rocks in there tank. About 10-12 rocks every ten gallons is great for them also if you live by an ocean get sand from there make sure to wash it good but natural sand is best because it makes the PH perfect. Have a nice day

Actually being "natural" has nothing to do with it. Bagged Arogonite sand from your LFS is also great and maintains the higher pH. Much easier to clean than sand from the ocean.

My first try at aquascaping. Suggestions, potential problems?

Thinking of adding some plants for background maybe? I've read that there are certain types best for cichlid like spiral val.

Thanks!

You need a lot more rocks and hiding places.

Would i be ok with some driftwood? My pH out of the tap is about 8.4. With the rocks and sand it is running about 8.0.

Or i could do a fake decoration like this?
Marina Decor Mangrove Root, Large:Amazon:pet Supplies

My take needs more something, planning to add some more rocks too.

As mentioned, driftwood will tend to lower pH, but over a long period of time, so unless you are adding a huge piece of DW or tons of it, it wouldn't be too concerned. Especially given your pH out of the tap.

Get sand! Cichlids need sand they once you put plenty of rocks in your tank. The cichlid will scoop sand into there mouths and spit it out somewhere else that's how they make there homes and they do it all the time

Just for clarity, African lake cichlids do not need sand. Some aquarium keepers prefer sand over gravel, but the fish themselves do equally well in both.

My second shot at aquascaping. Still might try to add a few more rocks, but it is tough stacking rocks in a 24" high but only 12" deep tank.

My wife said she liked the previous symmetrical setup but this is more natural and more hiding spots for the fish.

Any suggestions on this setup? Been cycling for a week at about 83F and 2-3ppm ammonia.

Thanks!
Scott

Looks better, but still could use some more tock

Thanks!

Added 1 anubias congensis and 1 anubias nana, kind of suck them in rock crevices. We'll see what happens.

Still no activity on cycling, nitrites and nitrates still at 0

Good luck with the plants. Are you using ammonia of some sort?

Last edited:
Looks better, but still could use some more tock

Good luck with the plants. Are you using ammonia of some sort?

Thanks for all the Wy, your replies are so thorough!

I'm using Dr Tims ammonium chloride solution, keeping the level around 2-3ppm (the bottle says to not go over 5ppm). I'd say its been about 10 days since starting it.

I'll add some more rocks too, its just difficult to stack them more than 12" high as the tank is only 12" deep so the top half of the tank looks empty. I suppose I could lean the rocks against the back wall of the tank but that makes me a little nervous as I don't want to scratch or break the glass, and want to be able to clean back there.

Back
Top Bottom