my first Tanganyika shell dweller tank (now with pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gotta love pawn shops i got 2 dozen turbo , mediam and larger size snail shells for 4.50 plus i got a 20g full set up aquariam for 130

oh ya geihtman great choice on getting shellies by the way . I found them to be the most entertaining cichlids to watch i think you will enjoy them alot i know i do. i have about 6 deffrent kinds and i think they are awsome

Well I received my half dozen multies from Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish yesterday morning. I was originally going to buy them from another dealer but that one had his power knocked out by storms and lost some stock including all of his multies. Dave's were a little more expensive but worth it IMO because they are wild caught (F0) from the Chaitika region on Lake Tanganyika.

When I got them I used the drip acclimation method to get them adjusted to their new water conditions although I was a bit rushed because I had to get back to work. First I floated the bag with the fish in the tank for 20 minutes to get the temperature adjusted. Then I opened the bag and used an airline with valve to add 2 drops of water a second from the tank. I also added 1 drop of Prime to detoxify any ammonia. I removed water a tablespoon at a time when the water level got too high. After 20 minutes I doubled the drip rate and increased it even further 20 minutes after that. At that point I poured the fish out into a net and put them in the tank. I left the lights out in their tank all day yesterday.

Today all six are doing fine and are very active. They're swimming around constantly and checking out the shells. I see them occasionally spitting out sand that they've removed from a shell. I realize now that even having 55 shells for this size tank (20 gallon long) isn't enough and that I should probably double it so that I get a good layer of shells. I've got a mixture of gold and silver mouth turbo shells spread throughout the tank and what I have still leaves room for more.

I'm very excited to have these fish and can't wait to see how they develop. I've got some pictures I took this morning before going to work.

Attachments

• 20g10807-1_855.jpg
    20g10807-1_855.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 20g10807-3_179.jpg
    20g10807-3_179.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 20g10807-5_247.jpg
    20g10807-5_247.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 20g10807-7_668.jpg
    20g10807-7_668.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 20g10807-8_964.jpg
    20g10807-8_964.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 272
Aww....they are so cute! I know you'll enjoy them. :) I can't wait to turn my 55g into a Tanganyikan tank and get some shellies. Your tank looks really good...I know they'll enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom