New tank, ID's needed :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Awesome, just curious. How'd you figure it out? He's an African cichlid, so when you separate them he should go with the cichlids. But you probably already know that lol"

well A1, what i did was use a highly technical method of googling lol.

i was sick of looking up pages, so i typed in "types of cichlids" and it popped up on the images tab. :D

Turns out he's from lake tanganyika, so i am on the way with that. Tropheus moorii "Chimba", comonly known as Black Red Moorii, Sambian Red, or Cameron Moorii.
As it happens, i was in the process of creating a shopping list for my new planted tank, and Sid Vicious Fishus is an herbivore, so bonus. As he's such an aggressive fish, i can't have anyone else with him, but i may try to keep him with some of his current tank mates. 75 gallons seems an awful waste for one fish.

Anyway, i'll keep you posted.. I spotted Johan wiggling for Stumpy and inviting her into his cave, so it seems they are more comfortable than i thought :)

Last edited:
:onfire: burn. Once you get them in your 75, you can add some more fish of those species, that will minimize some aggression since it won't all be directed at a few fish.

Name that Fish

A little hard to give you exact ID for your fish, based on that pic, but i do see Africans, South Americans, and maybe even a Tropheus Species. Nice set up, maybe troublesome mix of fish.

dang, Jim.. where were you with a tropheus heads up the other day :)

They are a little troublesome for each other, but we're doing our best to keep them happy for now, until we move next week ish.. stupid deadline keeps changing.

But i do appreciate your advice here. A1, it's funny, i think you were telling me to get a tanganyika setup together, and it looks like the gods have interceded on your behalf.. can't wait for this auction though.. can't see myself putting babies in with him, it'd be genocide. gotta get a few bigguns.

lol @ myself.. well i HAVE to get more fishof course :)

Atlanta Area Aquarium Association Spring Auction. March 7th, Duluth GA.. So excited! FB not working for me, sorry

As for the other, that may have been someone else. hmm... sorry. It sounded like very sound advice, so i assumed it was one of you addicts :)
lol@ DK..

tropheus

dang, Jim.. where were you with a tropheus heads up the other day :)

They are a little troublesome for each other, but we're doing our best to keep them happy for now, until we move next week ish.. stupid deadline keeps changing.

But i do appreciate your advice here. A1, it's funny, i think you were telling me to get a tanganyika setup together, and it looks like the gods have interceded on your behalf.. can't wait for this auction though.. can't see myself putting babies in with him, it'd be genocide. gotta get a few bigguns.

lol @ myself.. well i HAVE to get more fishof course :)

tropheus, are in a class of their own, the only way you will be truely successful with them is in a tank with only a buch of other Trops, and feed them a lot of algae based foods. 2 or 3 or even 5-6 in a tank is a disaster waiting to happen.

nah, it was Zagz. FB is facebook, and the atlant aaa have an event page for the auction

"tropheus, are in a class of their own, the only way you will be truely successful with them is in a tank with only a buch of other Trops, and feed them a lot of algae based foods. 2 or 3 or even 5-6 in a tank is a disaster waiting to happen."

Good to know, Jim :)

What i am planning is a planted tank (75) with some driftwood and a few rock caves for the fish. I was hoping that that would satisfy sid (the troph). Now i have to admit to being a little confused, sorry.. A bunch of other trops or 2-3.. ?

The tank will be quite densely planted to provide adequate shelter. But if it were YOUR tank, what would you put in if anything? Thanks for your help BTW. I'm a sponge over here, i want to know it all( bu not BE a know it all lol) :)

how it's going to go

ok, so i figured some tanks out, let me know if you agree.. i am still a little unsure, but let's try it anyway :)

ok..
tank 1) 75 gallons
the red zebra, the blunthead, and the acei. Now what i have read is that the blunthead are relatively peaceful but they are territorial. i am hoping that he will calm down with a bigger tank.
it will be a planted environment with a log AND rocks/caves/ tunnels. and coral

All are low protien fish, and mostly herbivorous or better on veg. I figure if I throw a few crickets in every now and then, that will make the zebras very happy.
i will keep the temperature at 77-78, the pH at 8.4 or as close as possible, and the hardness to about 12.

i'll keep it for a week or two and see if they settle in and can be happy. if not, sid comes out.

tank 2) 55 gallons.
Johanni and Mrs Johanni, and mr lab
rocks and gravel/ sand with caves etc. coral etc

feed to their specifications with veg and pellets and a few crustaceans for Mohawk.

temp 77-78, pH 8.0 or as close as possible, hardness 10-15

tank 3) 40 gallon

jewel cichlids. Pretty much because they are jerks

log, and planted, due to their natural river habitat.

temp 76, pH 7 ish,and hardness about 10 (if i can)

Ok.. how does that look?

Sounds like a plan. If you want, in your 75, maybe add a few more acei and a few more red zebras. and for the 55 some more labs.

Back
Top Bottom