New tank, ID's needed :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wow! tonight has been a perfect night!
i went to pick up a 75 setup with cichlids, and i bought them home. I also bought home an extra tank and a bunch of accessories thanks to two of possibly the nicest people i have ever met in my life :D

I have been online for some time now, and i am still trying to identify the inhabitants. Happily, a few have names already, and the others are pending until their personality starts to shine.

So far i am pretty confident with the Yellow Lab, 2 pearl cichlids, a New Maingano 2-Stripe, maybe 3 Red Zebras a grumpy reddish fella and the blue with yellow fins is totally escaping me. Could he be a hybrid? I will post a better picture, i just don't want to upset them this late :)

Anyway, they are in a temporary 55 gallon (2 hour car trip, didn't want to wait for their sakes) and they seem great. I will set up the 75 tomorrow and put everything in order. We have rock, old coral from the original tank, and a grubby little pleco to help with cycling, but since we have the original filter and biowheel and all the rocks, we figure it's a matter of setting it up and transferring. We'll also put more hidey holes in for them, so they can claim a spot each.

Anyway, any help with ID's appreciated. And TIA

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 73
Oh, and George did tell me some of the names, but i forgot them in my excitement. BTW, Lab is called mohawk, Stumpy keeps her original name (orange fish with tiny tail) and dot and spot will be the 2 grey ones in the back :)

if the pearl cichlid you're talking about is a texas cichlid, it needs to go. The blue with yellow tail is quite possibly an acei, though there are tons that are blue with yellow on them

Just so you know, African Cichlids (Yellow labs, zebras, etc.) shouldn't be kept with New World cichlids (Blood Parrot, pearl cichlid, etc.). Their requirements are way different (pH, food, habitats)

Hi again to all, i have put some better pictures up on my page, so that might help a little.
For aquarium1, I looked into that, and you'r right, but here's the problem i have. According to the guy who gave them to me, they have been living together for a year or more. Would it stress them out to suddenly take them away? ( i tend to personalise fish, sorry:rolleyes:) I certainly have the tank space to break em up these days
And mfdrookie516, i think i may have got that one wrong :) But I appreciate all the help here, i figured the blue/ yellow would be something either so common it would be embarrassng to ask or some mutt breed that no one has ever seen before :)

I doubt it would stress them. You'd be able to provide their living requirements better, which would probably make them happier lol.

No worries then. Just gotta get it all tended to, then i will post pics. Such a big job!

probably separating them for now. See how they go. Did you to get a chance check out the new pics (now that i know you're there, seems a bit of a waste not to ask)

no joy on the grumpy red fish, but Spot and Dot are confirmed Jewel Cichlids. their tail spot is lighter, but still there. Stumpy had a little fin rot in her past, so i thought she was a red zebra, but i turns out she's Mrs Johanni. Nice :)

I got it!!! Red, is actually a tropheus! common name Blunthead! he's a red coloration, and you can see a pic if you google blunthead tropheus.. Oh, i am so thrilled. He's still a jerk, but now i know why :) Blunthead apparently don't like anyone.. even their own species woot!!:D

Awesome, just curious. How'd you figure it out? He's an African cichlid, so when you separate them he should go with the cichlids. But you probably already know that lol.

Back
Top Bottom