New to cichlids :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I read somewhere that acei most times than not dont work in a 55g because their almost to big for a 55g. My husband and I really like the looks of the red shoulder peacocks... Would peacocks be ok with just labs?

My Acei did fine in a 55, but they do get quite big. And red shoulders are cool cichlids! I have never owned any, but after doing some research, i think they seem fine! Every website I read said that they are generally peaceful and not very aggressive, which sounds to me like they would be a great companion for the yellow labs! Try to have a decent amount of rockwork though as they are mostly rock dwellers.

My Acei did fine in a 55, but they do get quite big. And red shoulders are cool cichlids! I have never owned any, but after doing some research, i think they seem fine! Every website I read said that they are generally peaceful and not very aggressive, which sounds to me like they would be a great companion for the yellow labs! Try to have a decent amount of rockwork though as they are mostly rock dwellers.

I have some rocks and terra cotta pots as temporary caves until I can get more rocks. I was thinking he red shoulders would be a good contrast fish since socolofi's have the same black on the dorsal fin as the labs do.

I have some rocks and terra cotta pots as temporary caves until I can get more rocks. I was thinking he red shoulders would be a good contrast fish since socolofi's have the same black on the dorsal fin as the labs do.

That sounds good, and yeah i agree, i think that socolofi are just like a blue twin :). Post pictures of your tank when the fish are in!

That sounds good, and yeah i agree, i think that socolofi are just like a blue twin :). Post pictures of your tank when the fish are in!

It will be Wednesday before they come in, I'll have to put my order in tomorrow. And I completely forgot to ask about numbers, should I do 7 of each to total up to 14 or only do 5 of each and have numbers at 10 leaving room for another species down the road?

If you plan on adding another species a little later on, just go with 5 each, it also leaves a little more growing room. But otherwise 7 of each will work too, but you can't add any more unless you get rid of some later on. But 7 also provides a little more action. Its really your decision!

Back
Top Bottom