New to convicts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
My friend gave me 3 convicts less then an inch right now. All I have is a 30 gallon bow type tank. Heater and a marineland pro series filter that's for a 50 gallon. Think it's a 280. Anyway he pretty much set it up for me with fake logs for them to hide, some fake plants and a piece of real driftwood. We had the tank cycled and tested prior to putting fish into the tank. Now the question is and remember I'm very new to this. The PH is at a 6.5 or yellowish green. I've done a 25% water change twice already with no change. Nitrate and ammonia are perfect. Not sure what else to do.

Now I know this isn't right but... We have a fish tank at the firehouse and it has 12 convicts and it's a 29 gallon tank! They haven't changed the water in a year! Just add water when needed then stress coat and that's pretty much it. There all still alive and nasty as ****!! The local fish guy said if we went to change the water they would all die because they've adapted to the harsh conditions. What can I do about that as well? I'm looking into getting the firehouse at least a 75 gallon tank would that be big enough for the 12 we have? Also to house 7 convicts would a 55 be ok?

Thanks everyone for your patience and our time.

i think thats horrible about the firehouse fish, but theres not much you can do. remember what he said about they are adapted to the harsh conditions? well giving the an extra 40 gallons of new clean water can potentially kill them. it may not be big enough when they hit full size, ud need a 90 or so (as far as i know).
with ur convicts, they would be fine with the pH, even if it is a little low. but since they are so young, they would adapt. it would be ok for 3 convicts, but would get crowded at full size.... but even then by that time one may have been killed or given away as the othe two have paired off. so sounds ok imo.
np my patience and time have limitless extensions. i have too much free time, hence why i designed a car made of ice cream last saturday :)

If you had the time and I'm right on my guess a gradual change to cleaner conditions might work. Like maybe 10% pwc to start and then gradually increase it until it's clean again but again I'm just optimistic haha

Thanks guys... My local fish store recommended doing a 50% percent water change an then treated the water as with all necessary supplies and to use just a little more neutralizer, wait 24hrs and re test it.

Hey KK I think you and I could become good friends! LoL. Hopefully I'll get my 55 gallon or bigger I want! Then it's game time!!

Sounds awesome! Take a pic when done. I'm working on the wife right now. So far it's a no go... I got her to agree to a 40 bow style. It's all about where I'm gonna put it and she's worried about the room looking to cluttered. But I'll keep trying.

I want to get cichlids. I'm just learning so I'm not sure how many I can put in a 40 gallon. Or what other type of fish will play nice with my convicts. I'm throwing some ideas around. I'd still have to set it up and cycle it before adding any fish of course.

My friend told me to take some decor from the old tank and put it in the new one. He also mentioned maybe putting the filter in as well, he said it will help. I'm reading through some threads now seeing the ideal way to set up the 40 gallon and how many fish it can safely handle. I love cichlids so I may stay with them.

Great! I don't think you should be worried about the convicts getting beat up, really just the others. I'm not quite sure what to put in there since I have only done convict only tanks. When they are breeding they get mean!! One time I put my hand in the tank to fix a plant and Jack Daniels (Breeding Male) bit me!

Yes putting the old filter in the new tank will get your beneficial bacteria going much faster. There are many types of fish you could do with a 40g. Two pairs of convicts (If you really want 2x the babies), Kribs?, a few pairs of GBRs? I wouldn't try anything big in anything less than a 55g. You could probably raise up a larger fish (Jack Dempsey, Oscar) in a 40, but you would have to move him once he gets bigger. Which doesn't seem convenient, I don't think you should be buying a 55g+ fish if you don't have the room to house the adult in the first place. Anywho I'm starting to get off subject now! But good luck!

be careful about the pleco. look for a type that gets to only 6ins rather than the norm 12-16+ins like a BN.
other than that, i agree. plus given flower pots or caves, u may get babies :)

And +1 on what MBF said. I once bought a pleco (the guy at a LFS misinformed me) and put it in a 20g with some platies. It got to be about 7" and I gave it to a friend (who has a 100+g tank). The guy said it would grow to be 4".
It was called a "Common Pleco". You should look for what's called a "bristlenose pleco" (may be marked as a Bushynosed Pleco), thats what a BN is in case you didn't know. That would be great.

Thanks Kk! I just picked up 1 bristlenose pleco today, so I'm happy! Check out my photo album, would love to hear your input. I'm so new to this bit enjoy it very very much. I even love the water changing and testing. I love it all! And it's so relaxing to turn off all the lights at night put some good tunes on and just watch them.

Take care bro... And thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom