Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New to convicts...

My friend gave me 3 convicts less then an inch right now. All I have is a 30 gallon bow type tank. Heater and a marineland pro series filter that's for a 50 gallon. Think it's a 280. Anyway he pretty much set it up for me with fake logs for them to hide, some fake plants and a piece of real driftwood. We had the tank cycled and tested prior to putting fish into the tank. Now the question is and remember I'm very new to this. The PH is at a 6.5 or yellowish green. I've done a 25% water change twice already with no change. Nitrate and ammonia are perfect. Not sure what else to do.

Now I know this isn't right but... We have a fish tank at the firehouse and it has 12 convicts and it's a 29 gallon tank! They haven't changed the water in a year! Just add water when needed then stress coat and that's pretty much it. There all still alive and nasty as ****!! The local fish guy said if we went to change the water they would all die because they've adapted to the harsh conditions. What can I do about that as well? I'm looking into getting the firehouse at least a 75 gallon tank would that be big enough for the 12 we have? Also to house 7 convicts would a 55 be ok?

Thanks everyone for your patience and our time.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think thats horrible about the firehouse fish, but theres not much you can do. remember what he said about they are adapted to the harsh conditions? well giving the an extra 40 gallons of new clean water can potentially kill them. it may not be big enough when they hit full size, ud need a 90 or so (as far as i know).
with ur convicts, they would be fine with the pH, even if it is a little low. but since they are so young, they would adapt. it would be ok for 3 convicts, but would get crowded at full size.... but even then by that time one may have been killed or given away as the othe two have paired off. so sounds ok imo.
np my patience and time have limitless extensions. i have too much free time, hence why i designed a car made of ice cream last saturday

Old 10-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you had the time and I'm right on my guess a gradual change to cleaner conditions might work. Like maybe 10% pwc to start and then gradually increase it until it's clean again but again I'm just optimistic haha
Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys... My local fish store recommended doing a 50% percent water change an then treated the water as with all necessary supplies and to use just a little more neutralizer, wait 24hrs and re test it.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like a good idea. Any other questions let me know. My name isn't KonvictKeeper for nothin' .
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey KK I think you and I could become good friends! LoL. Hopefully I'll get my 55 gallon or bigger I want! Then it's game time!!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds good! Big tanks are fun I'm setting up a 55g with a Jack Dempsey, a school of silver dollars, and a pictus cat. Should be fun.
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds awesome! Take a pic when done. I'm working on the wife right now. So far it's a no go... I got her to agree to a 40 bow style. It's all about where I'm gonna put it and she's worried about the room looking to cluttered. But I'll keep trying.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cool! I'll be taking lots of pics! What would you stock the 40g with?
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want to get cichlids. I'm just learning so I'm not sure how many I can put in a 40 gallon. Or what other type of fish will play nice with my convicts. I'm throwing some ideas around. I'd still have to set it up and cycle it before adding any fish of course.

My friend told me to take some decor from the old tank and put it in the new one. He also mentioned maybe putting the filter in as well, he said it will help. I'm reading through some threads now seeing the ideal way to set up the 40 gallon and how many fish it can safely handle. I love cichlids so I may stay with them.

Tags
convict, convicts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com