Non-Mbuna Vs. Mbuna Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering which you perfer, and if i could get a list of soon non-mbuna cichlids. TIA!!

I was wondering which you perfer
It really depends on what you want in a fish. Angel fish, oscars, rams, Jack Ds are all cichlids and each has a VERY different temperament.

It would be easier to list the small group classified as mbuna and then anything else (in the cichlid family) would obviously be non-mbuna. Cichlids are very diverse...

The reason i ask is i have been VERY interested in Cichlids latly and my uncle has a 50gal that he basically is just barley entertained with and im trying to get him to make it a cichlid tank lol!

What is already in the 50gallon. There are relatively few non-cichlids that will get along well with the majority of cichlids other than the very peaceful dwarf cichlids.

well i havent talked to him latly but (very sad) i think his very good looking red oscar died of some foam mouth disease. so i think he has some catfish and some other small fish. I think hes gonna get rid of them though or wait till they die. I have a good feeling when they die hes gonna pack up the tank :(

A lot of care needs to go into picking out cichlids. All of them can be aggressive--especially when breeding.

now that i think of it honestly know he will be packing up the tank because i think hes been keeping fish for a bout 15 years (hes about 38 i think lol) and he doesnt really ahve the time he used to....kinda sad :( just like my uncle in florida, packed his tank up when he moved and its still sitting in his shed.....well thanks to you all!!

This is where you say, "Hey Uncle _____, why don't you let me put that tank to good use. You wouldn't have to worry about the hassles of fish husbandry and you could stop by and enjoy the fish any time you want!".

Back
Top Bottom