Now many pounds of rock should I put in my 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james1085

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon cichlids tank and want to put some sort of rock in the tank for them to hide is there any white rock I can use I saw ocean base rock and was not sure if I could use it in freshwater and of corse how many pounds ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It depends on which type of fish you have. If you are dealing with Africans, who require a higher pH, I would recommend African sand which you can find at any LFS. African sand naturally raises the pH to about 8.0.

If it is any other origin, I would say any gravel will do. Roughly, you want to use one pound of gravel per gallon of water. Example: If you had 75 gallons, 75 pounds of gravel will suffice.

Also, if it is not Africans, there are plenty of methods you can use to stabilize your pH. Example: driftwood will naturally lower your pH and calcium (such as sea shells) will raise your pH... Just a quick FYI for you when planning your hardscape.

Google Texas holey rock I think that is what you are looking for.

Agreed. I read this completely wrong when I answered and thought he was just looking for substrate.

For hiding spots, I bought 'Cichlid stones' off amazon and love them. They are pricey, but I think they look nice and each have a hole for the fish to hide in if wanted. And they're ceramic or something so they hardly weigh anything so I don't have to worry about the tank holding the weight. Here's a picture of my mbuna 75g tank with about 16 of those stones. I like stacking them to make caves and such for them to claim and go through. I'd get more, but likeImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439964415.494622.jpg I said, they're expensive lol

I really like the lace rock you can find. It's very easy to stack and you can make some very interesting scapes and caves with it. I was really never a fan of the holey rock... it's just too..... white.

My old 55g African Cichlid tank with approx. 60 lbs of lace rock

mbuna.jpg

75748-albums12252-picture56203.jpg

75748-albums12252-picture57030.jpg

The stuff I got was a random assortment of rocks I bought online, but if you go and handpick them you can easily get some really nice pieces.

A lace rock I picked up at my LFS on the far right. It's currently being used in my reef tank.

tank2q.jpg

I really like the lace rock you can find. It's very easy to stack and you can make some very interesting scapes and caves with it. I was really never a fan of the holey rock... it's just too..... white.

My old 55g African Cichlid tank with approx. 60 lbs of lace rock

mbuna.jpg

75748-albums12252-picture56203.jpg

75748-albums12252-picture57030.jpg

The stuff I got was a random assortment of rocks I bought online, but if you go and handpick them you can easily get some really nice pieces.

A lace rock I picked up at my LFS on the far right. It's currently being used in my reef tank.

tank2q.jpg

That looks like alot more weight than your saying but I could be wrong,just removed one 45 pound rock and yours seem to look like a lot more weight or does it look bigger than it really is?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That looks like alot more weight than your saying but I could be wrong,just removed one 45 pound rock and yours seem to look like a lot more weight or does it look bigger than it really is?

Well, I ordered 50 lbs of rock and added 10 - 15 pounds of rock I picked up at the store. They might have given me a bit much, but I don't see that figure being off by more than 10 lbs or so.

I think it's that it really just looks bigger. I stacked it to make the caves as large as possible.

Looks good though.

Thanks! That's why I like the lace rock :D

It was a joint effort between my room mate and I. She took that tank with her when she moved out because I was more interested in the planted tank side of things. It's still going strong after close to 2 years

Back
Top Bottom