Oscar fish with HLLE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Oscar fish has recently developed little pits on his head which I have just found out might be a disease that is common in Oscar fish known as hole in the head. I am unsure of what to do to treat him and help stop this disease from getting worse and from searching on the Internet about it there have been a lot of different advice on medications to treat him but I am not sure which is the best one. Does any one have any suggestions for the best way to help my Oscar?

Attachments

• image-3124445408.jpg
    image-3124445408.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 141
Clean water and a proper diet is the best place to start. Keep the nitrates below 10ppm with water changes. The second part is a proper diet and that would be New Life Spectum fed exclusively. There are meds like Jungles Hole in the Head guard which contains Metrozoidale. But I've had the best success with water conditions and diet. I adopted a pair that was suffering from HITH and the scars re still there a year later so don't be surprised if they never fill back in, they are healed over but still noticeable. Here's are great article on this as well.

Hole in the Head by Adam Dagna of World Cichlids

HITH and HLLE are two different diseases. HITH is the parasitic form (Hexamita spp. and/or Spironucleus vortens) and this type is treatable with metronidazole. This form is what you will find in angelfish and discus.

HLLE is the nonparasitic form found in most other species (including and most commonly in oscars). Since this form is not parasitic it will not respond to meds of any kind. This is the one that requires an improvement in the quality of the food and water. I couldn't agree more with the NLS exclusively and the 10ppm or less nitrate. If thse do not improve the situation take the carbon out of your filter. Carbon causing HLLE is rare but has happened. It is worth looking into if water and food don't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom