Oscars and Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megos1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one 5-6" Tiger Oscar in my 29 gallon tank (I have a much larger tank downstairs for him, but I have to switch into another room first). My water chemistry is good and I do weekly water changes. My pH is kind of high 8.0-8.3 and I was wondering what kind of algea eater my Oscar wouldn't eat/would live at a higher pH.

My thoughts were either a larger Pleco or a larger Apple Snail.

Any suggestions?

I hope you know you will need at least a 75 gal for that guy soon. It would probably eventually eat the apple snail even if the snail is huge, the oscar will probably find a way. If you get a 90+ gal then you could probably keep it with a large common pleco.

I kept a largish common pleco in with my oscars for a long time, and they didn't bother him at all. I think what you can get will also depend on the personality of your oscar. Mine are quite laid back (but not quite so laid back that they would leave my apple snail alone). Of course the only rule that really applies to all of fishkeeping is there are exceptions to every rule. :D

Back
Top Bottom