Overall favorite cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChaosTropicals

Aquarium Advice Regular
If you had to choose to keep 1 cichlid for 3 years and this would be your only fish, what would you choose?

Mine would be the flowerhorn. they are beautiful and just gets huge. Its amazing. My second choice would be a wild caught male dovi. These fish are just intense and their colors are amazing.

Why a Flowerhorn out of all of the beautiful Cichlids, why choose a hybrid? I know most people don't care but me personally I'de rather tank raised than wild, i feel bad taking a fish from the wild and placing it into a box. At least if they have been born in a box its kind of all they know so its not as bad. I couldn't choose just one but a Pseudotropheus Saoulsi species tank is stunning!

Mine is not your common "wet pet" but I have just fallen in love with this fish. It is my platinum Honduran red point.

Attachments

• 20141207_215407.jpg
    20141207_215407.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 20141207_215305.jpg
    20141207_215305.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 173
Mine is not your common "wet pet" but I have just fallen in love with this fish. It is my platinum Honduran red point.

He is striking against the black sand. I've got some F1's from Rio Danli but I've never seen a leucistic strain.

27198-albums1491-picture63116.jpg

He is striking against the black sand. I've got some F1's from Rio Danli but I've never seen a leucistic strain.

27198-albums1491-picture63116.jpg

I got my Leucisitc from Rapps I think he is the only one that sells them I have 2 males and I think 1 female. There is another guy on here Colin that just had a batch last month I forget his user name.

Yours looks amazing I am disappointed in my blue one he doesn't have much color at all in his fins show just a little red. My blue one is from Rio Danli as well. I had another that had amazing color in the fins but no stripes I got rid of him since I had wound up with 4 males I had hoped my striped one would developer color in the fins but so far no go. He is also from Rapps. Did yours color up as it got older? I have had mine for 8 months. They are in separate tanks.

Attachments

• 20141011_073708.jpg
    20141011_073708.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 184
Did yours color up as it got older? I have had mine for 8 months. They are in separate tanks.

They actually had pretty good color around an inch or so. I've got 4 huge males over 4" and 6 smaller females around 2" together in my 150g. They are all from Rusty Wessels pair.

Here is another male.
27198-albums1491-picture63113.jpg

wow just bad luck I guess. Should have kept the other one. I often wonder if mine is a convict cross but Rapps is supposed to be really reputable that's why I went through him. Oh well still love my leucistic.

Mine would be my male Herichthys turquoise sp.

27198-albums10983-picture63117.jpg

Or my female Excichlasoma festae

27198-albums1492-picture58301.jpg

I've had over a hundred species of cichlids so its hard to choose a favorite.

I do have to agree Festae's are amazing i wouldnt know what to do with a fish so amazing. lol.

I would say paratheraps zonatus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on the size of tank. In a small tank 20-30 G I'd definitely say HRP

In a 55 probably a Salvini

65 -75 a JD

90+ a GT

This tank size is based on keeping 1 cichlid with lots of dithers and catfish.

This is based on the fish I've kept and I've yet to pick up my Red Devil / Midas or whatever it is :) but that might trump them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom