pairs of cichlids in a 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been pondering putting a pair of medium-sized cichlids alone in a 29 gallon tank with 550 gph filtration. Severum mama said that either firemouths or convicts may work. What about salvinis? They don't get that big either but they look nice. Everywhere I've looked says they need a 48" aquarium.

I'm sure you could keep a pair of salvinis in a 29g if they were the only fish in the tank. Keep an eye on the water parameters though. PWCs are important.

One thing about salvinis, they are NASTY. They exemplify cichlid behavoir to the max.

Hi,

a 29 would be ok at a squeeze but a 30 gallon would be better.

I know there is only 1 gallon between them but the footprint (surface area) of the tank makes a world of difference.

I would avoid convicts completely though. You an't just put a male and female convict in the same tank and expect them to automatically pair off.

To get a pair you would have to put in at least one male and four females, see who paired off and then remove and return the others before they get killed by the new pair.

Your tank is too small to do this.

In addition, if you did get a pair, you would soon end up with countless fry to raise because convicts are breeding machines.

Just add water and watch them go :D

steve

I'm going salvini I think. Just a pair in a 29 gallon. Thanks again folks.

Back
Top Bottom