Parrot cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peacockbass

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had parrot cichlids sit in the top corner of the tank. If so is this normal? If not what should I do?

While I wouldn't ever keep Parrots, I have had that happen with angels, and it is usually an indication they are on their way out. The various medications I have tried over the years have not worked. It is believed to be viral in nature, which would explain why antibiotics don't work. You could try a very large water change to lower the amount of pathogens in the tank and hope the fish can recover on it's own. Good luck.

I just saw the photos, and this is different from what I have seen. the angels face up not down. perhaps there isn't anything to worry about. Are they eating?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388849376.114196.jpg

They don't seem to be sick, they just sit there for a few minuets and the. Come back down. I have had the tank for 4 months and they have been doing that since day 1. I don't understand it! Thank you for the help! I will research this to try and get more answers

I have a 4.5 inch jack Dempsey, a 1 inch green terror, two convicts about 3 inches each, a 4 inch African cichlid, and a 6 inch pleco

They sure look healthy. Maybe there is just something like water movement up there that they like or looking for food.

Yeah I just have never seen it before hahaha. When the come down they are very active especially the smaller one.

Has anyone had parrot cichlids sit in the top corner of the tank. If so is this normal? If not what should I do?

Had this problem right when I got new parrots. They eventually calmed down and started acting normal.

This is very normal for parrots. They are trying to hide. They tend to be very nervous fish until they settle in. Settling in can take many months.

Years ago, I did a silly tank for my kids with a little plastic castle in the middle of it and 8 parrots. With the exception of feeding time they spent most of their time squeezed inside of this goofy castle, their beady little eyes poking through the darkness. To settle your parrots down, you should add some small dither fish. Dither fish are small fish which are active swimmers. The parrots will watch the dither fish swimming by and after a while decide that if a predator hasnt eaten the small fish, its safe for them.

In your tank, the JD and Green Terror might eat the dither fish first which would obviously be a problem. The larger fish might also be your problem. Are the parrots being bullied? They might just be scared of the larger fish. Put a piece of driftwood or cave in the bottom of the tank, and they will hide there. It will also give them a comfortable place to sleep at night.

Cichlids generally love caves, you might want to make enough sleeping spaces for all the fish in order to avoid aggression.

My last 2 parrots grew to the size of a lunch plate and weighed more than a pound each. They would come to the glass like little puppies when I approached. They are some of my favorite fish.

Yeah I have a bunch of hiding places, they do go in them but they like the corner as well. Those are all the hiding places

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388856573.622011.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388856573.622011.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 105
Parrots are just weird! Lol I've had a total of 4 and currently have 2, they all done that and do it. Nothing to worry about they're just being their weirdo selves

My two parrots do it all the time I think they just like to sit at top and hide where they can see everything happening. I added two cups or cave things and thy go in there when they change color for breeding time (never successful) lol but ya mine always do that.

Back
Top Bottom