piranha/oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson

Aquarium Advice Freak
im not looking into getting any, but what would typical tank size be for either one of those, and what sort of equipment do they need. i have been reading a lot about aggressive saltwater, and want to learn about these too aggressive freshwater fish

tia

I'm not sure about the pirahna, but the oscar needs atleast a 75 gal tank to be fully happy. They get anywhere from 8-14 inches long as a full grown adult depending on water conditions, etc. Also, they should be kept alone, as two adults in a 75 gal tank would be crowded. Oscars should have live food to thrive along with flake. Hmmm....I'm sure someone else will come along and add some more info for ya...

what are some smaller tyopes of aggressive fish, maybe not ones that eat other fish just ones that can be kept in those little 5 gallon kit things. that are little and like hexagon or sumthin like this: or is there n e thing: somethin like this in the 5 g one

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1080699585015

or

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1080699585017

i still want info about piranhas and oscars to tho if n e one got them.

hmm... 5 gallon tanks really aren't for any fish to tell you the truth. The only agressive fish I can think of that would stay remotely small is some type of african chiclid, and even then it wouldn't do in a 5 gal tank. If you want agressive fish, go all out and get some cool variations of chichlids, there are tons of them. But your'e gonna have to go with a lot bigger tank!

One Oscar can be kept in a 55gal tank but as Devilishturtles said a 75 is better.
Two Oscars in a 90gal..ect..ect..
Oscars are VERY messy fish and require ALOT of filtration!!
A good canister filter is your best bet.
They will eat just about anything, but DONT feed them feeder fish as they carry diseases that can and will kill your Oscar.
If you must use feeder fish it is better to raise your own disease free.
They love Cichlid pellets and some will eat flake.
HTH

hmm well i dont think i could convicne my mom into another tnak lol. im gettin a new 55 fw with a few fish adn then the fish i ahve already, adn then im starting a new 15 gallon saltwater lol. i just thought i small agressive tank would b cool. wat would the smallest size tank for the smallest size aggressive fish b.

People are attracted to the more aggressive fish because they have personalities and seem to be aware of what happens outside the tank.
If that's what you want in a 5 gal, I'd suggest a single male betta with a few snails or shrimp as bottomdwellers. Colorful, great personality, and always happy to see you when you get home!

I originally wanted to get an oscar, but I found out that a 58 gal is too small for even one. Also, you really can't decorate the tank to your liking because oscars like to dig stuff up and randomly redistribute it. You have to be careful with rocks because some oscars will use them to smash the glass or the heater. They're fascinating fish, but they require a large tank and lots of your time, attention, and understanding.

From what I've read about piranhas, they are extremely boring except at feeding time and you will spend a small fortune breeding food for them.

From what I've read about piranhas, they are extremely boring except at feeding time and you will spend a small fortune breeding food for them.

They are extremely boring but Very hardy.. I had 2 piranhas in a 29g tank a long while back. Nothing could kill those fish.. They were extremely boring.. Even at feeding time.. In the 2yrs that I had them I maybe saw them eat but once or twice.. I was hoping for somehting like the Movies LOL I was able to stick my hand in the tank.. LOL I ended up selling them back to the LFS and getting 4 oscars I blieve.. Now them I wasnt able to stick my hands in the tank LOL.. They were kinda interesting but still boring.. I a few months after that sold the tank and the fish back to the LFS.. 4yrs later I am back into the fish hobby but only SW... I love SW very much.. What I would suggest if you want something small in a 5gal tank check on nanoreef.com and research SW.. 5g tanks are pretty awesome for SW... You cant really get fish but inverts are nice.. Mantis Shrimp are very hardy and fun when you can see them... There are alot of interesting creatures availible for SW.. Check the SW forums and ask questions if you like.. SW nano tanks are extremely time consuming Daily work but pay off in the end.. As long as you keep up on daily maintanece and research you should be fine..

HTH,
James

He has already been in saltewater a lot and about nano tanks in DIY i think.
I see a trend here with some of your your posts..you keep asking for "small aggressive fish" and mentioned it should eat other fish in one wish list. Basically a fresh water piscevore that will some how fit in small space and still be out in the open.
Pirahna need to be in groups like many tetra, dicus, and other S.A specie

If you want to have something you can watch swallow other fish you need space.

Piscevore fish are usually either
A) much larger than their intended prey to avoid stressful struggles.. or
B) run in "packs" to attack large prey and overcome it.
many smaller carnivorous fish are ambush predators that hunt at night or from hiding places.

Salt water has a much larger selection of toothy maws that can still be housed in less space. Freshwater fish are opportunistic omnivores for the most part which is why they were considered "easier" than salt in the old timey days.
Currently you have one twenty? that is salt water? Since you said you had a fowlr? and one that is FW? two tanks then? Are you converting?...I am confused because your postings in SW frorum.
And you are planning to get a 55 soon when your parent okays its location?

I have a polypterus that I plan as my culling machine. judging by what he can eat now..he will be good for the job. But he gets a 177 gallon tank this summer (larger if I make it a biotope. He just goes >gulp<. Pirahna are not all they are painted..you should see an awful thread in the Lounge where some guy throws a mouse in with them..the fish are obviously unerved by the "new" food . They kill it eventually but never eat it. My grandpas pirahna were boring , and messy. I always spent as long cleaning their tank as the goldies. and they used to bump my arm and beg for a feeding. The rest of the time they floated in a corner only turning the shoal direction to show they were aware of you or alive.I had some of his oddity fish bite me harder. The ate very small fish. Of course there are many pirahna. Leaf fish for an experienced fish keeper, or pike gourami. No others can take small spaces well. And don't confuse aggressive fish for fish eating fish. Even a goldfish will eat a smaller tank mate if it will fit down the hatch.
you neeed to list what you want the fish to do for you os we can help you find fits.

i dunno i think i just like reading about the agressive fish i find it interesting, it doesnt necessarily have to eat fish tho. as of now i ahve one 20 gallon fw tank, but in aobut 3 weeks i a mgoing to be getting a new 55g for my fw. i am also going to b starting a new 15 gallon nano sw tank. i am getting rid of the 20g because i ahve no more room . i was just thinking of a 5 as an alternative to sumthin thats huge, but i dont even think i could convince my mom to do it. i posted about oscars and pirhanhas just because i thought they were interesting. but im not devestated that i cant have one lol. i was thinking of a small puffer for the 5g, but i doubt i can convince my mom, i was just trying to get many different ideas. i hope this makes sense lol.

heh..oscars are neat...they would be my the cichlid of first choice if I had the space to keep them happy. :) They are so friendly and intersted in you. And that red on green is so holiday. I would have a pond of oscars instead of koi if I lived in the southern hemisphere. Would keep the cat population in the neighborhood down. :twisted:
Semi aggressives like most cichlids are prolly where you are headed then.
Pirahnna are boring..actually soothing..until chowtime.

but that doesn't answer...

Would you be happy with a species tank or do you want acommunity?
How much maintainence time do you have?
Do you want a biotope maybe?
Are you wanting more interaction and persoanlity or flashy color.
And what is your tap ph again?

1. id be happy wtih either tank. i am turning the 55 that im getting into a community tank. so prolly a species(but i dont think id b allowed to get more fish tanks lol, just learning)
2. it all depends when i wrk i ahve school until 2:55 thenm i do homewrk check out diff. fish forums, then sumtimes i ahvet owrk but usually i only wrk once or twice a week and then sat and sun.
3. What is a boitope? i have no idea
4. i dont really care, just thinking of aggrexive type fish, either or.
5. i ahve no idea.

Biotope Aquariums

A biotope is an aquarium that is set up to similate the natural habitat of a fish. Everything about it is set up to be like the fish were living in real time, instead of in your tank. They are cool, and definitley a neat option.
Check out the site, and all your questions should be answered.

Also, Allivymar is the one who gave me the site...if you have any questions you should email her! Have fun!

does n e one have pics of there oscar or piranha tanks. wat do u like about them.

for small semi-aggressive fish that will fit in a five gallon, i would suggest dwarf puffers. They're so much fun, have great personalities and you could put 2 in a 5 gallon. www.dwarfpuffers.com has more info.

Back
Top Bottom