Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright guys, I want to get my girlfriend two electric blue jack dempseys for her birthday. The ones from my LFS are too small to be housed in her South American cichlid tank right away so I was wondering if putting them in my mbuna tank until they are big enough to go into her tank would be a good thing to do. Also is it okay to get two of them. Her stocking list is

-2 tiger oscars
- 1 fire mouth cichlid
- one jack Dempsey
- 1 convict cichlid
- 1 blood parrot
- 1 peacock cichlid

The EBJD would really need their own tank, they will get shredded in the Mbuna tank as well as your girlfriends tank. Also the only thing that's South American in her tank is the Oscars, I really hope she has a large tank to accommodate that stock list.

EBJD will only break your heart. They have the lifespan of an octopus if not shorter. Will look and act awesome to about 4" then just give up on life. And this is under optimum conditions by themselves let alone with other established cichlids. My last EBJD was killed by a Discus. Yes more sensitive and weaker than a discus. Try it. They are great while they last. But keep by themselves.

I've got one hanging on for dear life. Apparently special treatment, lots of water changes and frequent feedings can't even save this fish.

Retail they fetch quite a bit $$$. I luckily have a connection. Despite this they have not been worth the let downs, only lasting up to a year.

Back
Top Bottom