Please help with stocking my 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pam is here

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have an idea of how many fish is a good amount for a 55 gallon tank? This is what I have so far. They are lake Malawi Mbuna fish. I have read about some, but I'm looking for personal input from people that has had some of these fish as to how they get along with each other.
3 2" yellow labs
2 Acei one is 3" the other is 1"
2 3" jewels
2 2" Jacobfreibergi

If I can add more fish to my tank, what would you suggest.
thanks so much

Pam is here said:
Does anyone have an idea of how many fish is a good amount for a 55 gallon tank? This is what I have so far. They are lake Malawi Mbuna fish. I have read about some, but I'm looking for personal input from people that has had some of these fish as to how they get along with each other.
3 2" yellow labs
2 Acei one is 3" the other is 1"
2 3" jewels
2 2" Jacobfreibergi

If I can add more fish to my tank, what would you suggest.
thanks so much

To answer your question
16-18 lightly stocked
19-21 medium
21-24 heavily stocked

Acei are not really a good fit for a 55g. Reasons being they get over 5" big and they love to swim fast. I believe they are open water fish.

You said mbuna so I'm not sure if you know or not but this cichlid Jacobfreibergi is a peacock.

And for the jewel very pretty fish but they really shouldn't be mixed with lake Malawi Cichlids. The jewel is an african river fish

The Chinese Algae Eater needs a 55g minimum due to its full size. He really need to be re homed.http://www.fishlore.com/profile-chinesealgaeeater.htm

Last edited:
Oh my land. The lady at the fish store said they would all do well together. Thanks so much for the information. I will have to return some of them.

I had no idea about the algea eater. I seem to keep getting the wrong fish. I also have a beautiful albino shark that attacks anything in site. He is now in a tank by himself.

Pam is here said:
Oh my land. The lady at the fish store said they would all do well together. Thanks so much for the information. I will have to return some of them.

Haha ya they like to tell ya things to get you to buy or just to make it sound like they know what they are talking about. Lol

Pam is here said:
I had no idea about the algea eater. I seem to keep getting the wrong fish. I also have a beautiful albino shark that attacks anything in site. He is now in a tank by himself.

Yea they are aggressive and it gets 6 inches so I hope it is in a nice size aquarium. The only thing out of the ones you listed that could take his aggressiveness would be the bee. Unfortunately they shouldn't be stocked together because of different water types.

What I suggest you do is figure out what fish you want and build around it. Ask here on the site for additional stocking help before you go back to the store to buy.

Ok thank you so much. Use my algea eater and now my albino is in my 40 g tank. thanks for the info

What about putting my 3 convicts, albino shark and the algea eater together in my 40g? I have fish tanks spread through the house, I would like to condense some of these. Would that work? Thanks

Pam is here said:
What about putting my 3 convicts, albino shark and the algea eater together in my 40g? I have fish tanks spread through the house, I would like to condense some of these. Would that work? Thanks

The 1 convict alone would need a 40 gallon. I am pretty sure you need to invest into bigger aquariums if you don't want to sell or take fosh.back to the lfs

Back
Top Bottom