Plz help don't want he to die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My LFS owner has been a breeder of african cichlids for 20 - 30 years or so. I was talking to him about malawi bloat and how these cichlids are pretty much pigs that will eat themselves to death.

He said his favorite remedy for bloat was a single drop of mineral oil right down the throat. It's a laxitive and will make them expel everything in their entire digestive tract.

Ok so wot should I do Atm he is in a Epsom salt 2g a day 10L TANK and no poo but no one is sure wot is worry with him x

5 day no food
This is day 2 in salt

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so wot should I do Atm he is in a Epsom salt 2g a day 10L TANK and no poo but no one is sure wot is worry with him x

5 day no food
This is day 2 in salt

I know I should think in metric but I've been americanised so had to convert this to teaspoons.

That dose sounds like a half teaspoon per 2 gallons. Given that he is not eating or pooping, the prognosis is not good. Best I can figure out is some sort of compacted material in the intestines. Certainly open to other ideas.

I think the mineral oil sounds worth a try.

I was going to suggest doubling the Epsom salts every 12 hrs until he's basically hating it. Up to a tablespoon per 5 gallons to try and get something happening.

I would aim to have tried these sorts of remedies and completed in the next few days. I don't see the point of low level Epsom salt dosing over several weeks but that is just imo. If it was just a mild case and still eating, I'd consider it. Again, I'm just stating what I would try for a treatment plan.

If mineral oil, Epsom salts or other didn't work. Then I would look at dosing meds of metro / prazi.

Last one is I would post a thread on your feeding plan. This would just be a double check all is good there. Once a problem fish, always a problem fish I've found so you need everything to be too notch.

Last edited:
Can u send me th link for the metro plz if the link above is no good x

Ok I wil try to double dose him

If no luck I have this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...=paraguard&dpPl=1&dpID=41HnR44hm1L&ref=plSrch

Is this any good xx

Seachem products are good but this is mainly for external parasites like ich (ectoparasites). It's malachite green (a dye) and a formaldehyde derivative which is a treatment as old as the hills for white spot (ich).

At the moment we think this is intestinal related (no pooping, no eating) so I'd keep that in the back pocket for the moment.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ParaGuard.html

My LFS owner has been a breeder of african cichlids for 20 - 30 years or so. I was talking to him about malawi bloat and how these cichlids are pretty much pigs that will eat themselves to death.

He said his favorite remedy for bloat was a single drop of mineral oil right down the throat. It's a laxitive and will make them expel everything in their entire digestive tract.

Did he say any particular mineral oil?

Wher can u get that form in the u k

Thank u for the links mates just reading up on them now x

And where do u get the horse oil from in the UK

mineral oil

Ok amazing for all ur help guys xx

There is something wrong he is not eating and I only netted him onces as he is in he's own tank x

If he isn't eating, try using Seachem Kanaplex. This med is soaked through the skin, so it's beneficial to fish who aren't eating. If you have Metro or Octozin (like I mentioned in your other post about bloat), you can make a mixture and use a tube to feed it down the fish's throat. You can also try soaking some pellets in Metro/Octozin with some Seachem Garlic Guard (or whatever garlic you have), which the smell for them is equivalent to humans and bacon, or chocolate, or whatever you love eating.

As for holding the fish, it's not abnormal if you periodically hand feed your fish and they're use to it. I actually have to pick one of my fish up and drop him off on the other side of the tank since he won't stop pushing the other fish out of the way.. worse is that he actually knows what I'm doing and darts back over to my hand.

Back
Top Bottom