Rock decoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im getting rocks from my back yard and am boiling them tto clean them for a designf for a cichlid tank. How do I glue them together? And what type of adhesive do I use?

Boiling rocks can sometimes not be so safe I prefer just to take boiling water and pour over the rock. Most people use an aquarium safe silicon to stock them together. ;)

I would advise against boiling them, that could be a little dangerous, instead I would soak them in a 1:10 bleach solution overnight. Scrub them tomorrow and give them a GOOD rinse. Air dry for 24+ hours to break up any chlorine residue. Don't forget to do the vinegar test!

I use GE Silicon I for my rocks and it works really well.

So I boiled them in an outside turkey boiler. It worked very well. Then I dumped the water out ans the steam dryed them immediately which was sweet! So silicone works well? That was what I thought. Th ank you guys I should be good now. :)

chrisgaucher said:
So I boiled them in an outside turkey boiler. It worked very well. Then I dumped the water out ans the steam dryed them immediately which was sweet! So silicone works well? That was what I thought. Th ank you guys I should be good now. :)

Glad to hear you have no resulting injury! Good move doing them outside. Good luck, post pics when finished! The silicone needs a few (3?) Days to cure before being aquarium safe btw

Haha I will! And I have ge silcone 2. Its for kitchen and bath. I think that will work.

Yea boiling rocks is like playing Russian roulette. There are pores in the rocks that hold gasses am when super heated they can exploded under the pressure of not being able to release fast enough. It has happened. I always advise against it, not worth the risk IMO.

Glad it all worked out though...

Anyone like this design with the rocks? Pretend the wood is the area of the tank.

ForumRunner_20121013_125305.jpg

Ive been boiling rocks for 10 years without an exploding rock once. Im not saying it cant happen, but highly unlikely. I have even baked rocks in my oven.

Cichlid-dude said:
Ive been boiling rocks for 10 years without an exploding rock once. Im not saying it cant happen, but highly unlikely. I have even baked rocks in my oven.

I've had rock shatter in my kitchen. Lucky for me I had walked out of the room for something. My husband has baked rocks as well with no ill effects. I am just not a huge fan of taking unnecessary risks.

Sounds like some people have luck and others dont. And okay ill buy 100%

Cichlid-dude said:

I've been around a few camp fires where the rock barrier has had one explode on a couple different occasions and its like being shot by a old school red rider. I understand its hotter but boiling can have the same effect and trust me its not fun lol.

Back
Top Bottom