Rock from rock farm for my cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody! I was wanting some rock for my 65 gallon cichlid tank and it's so expensive at the petstore so I was wondering what types of rock I could have in my cichlid tank? I don't want it to change my ph or anything at all! I got it how it needs to be! And I would put some in my other various tanks! So I need some suggestions! I want some nice looking rock to grow some plants off of to! I want to go pick some out soon! Please help:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I personally don't buy rocks, I pick them up around garden areas or on the side of the road that has the "perfect" shape I'm looking for in my tank (my wife is like, uh... why do you keep looking at rocks when you're driving LOL). In my signature there's a link of my old 55g tank, which were all rocks from my garden and a relative's garden (they were used around areas with mulch). You could go to a landscaping company in your area, they usually sell rocks by the pound, but when I went to one nearby my house, they didn't have a real natural shape to them. As for plants, remember to see if the type of cichlid you're keeping are compatible with them, rather than being underwater lawn mowers ^_^

All rocks will change ph. The amount they change ph is very minimal. All of the rocks I use in my tank are rocks I have found myself, I have never had problems with any rocks or ph.
Use any rocks you like just give them a good scrub first. If you see any rocks crumbling or breaking when scrubbed in water, do not use them that means that a certain mineral is dissolving. Ex: the salt found with potash will dissolve away letting the rocks crumble and turning your freshwater tank into saltwater.
Go find your own rocks it is more economical and fun!

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

I get rocks for my tanks from rivers and creeks around my house. Just make sure you clean them well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought 40lbs of lace rock for 40$ from my local landscape supply store.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428947834.668658.jpg
That's about 30lbs there

That looks awesome!! How did you clean it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cleaning it.. First I sprayed it down with hot water trying to blast out all the mud and dirt in the holes.
The smaller pieces that would fit into my big pot were boiled for about 20mins, the couple larger ones went into a big bucket and I added hot water and let them sit for a couple days.
While the water was sitting in the bucket I monitored ph, kh, and gh. There was no change.
It's now been 3 or 4 weeks and I still haven't seen a changed in ph,kh, or gh in my tank

Back
Top Bottom