salvini with carpintis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Salvini I got is a male and has good markings and coloring on fins with a great tourquois shimmer but completely lacks any yellow. hes about 4.5" and I was wondering if adding a female would cause better coloring?
Also I see salvini refered to as Nandopsis salvini and Cichlasoma salvini. Is there a difference? Thanks

Most new world cichlids in breeding dress are amazing looking so adding a female would help, not necessarily all the time though. Plus they're going to play hell on anyone else in the tank, my pair beat the daylights out of a female Festae four times their size. I would still attempt it but just have a back up plan. The biggest enjoyment for me personally is successfully breeding aggressive fish.

Cichlasoma is the current genus and Nandopsis is the old, same fish.

Last edited:
Most new world cichlids in breeding dress are amazing looking so adding a female would help, not necessarily all the time though. Plus they're going to play hell on anyone else in the tank, my pair beat the daylights out of a female Festae four times their size. I would still attempt it but just have a back up plan. The biggest enjoyment for me personally is successfully breeding aggressive fish.

Cichlasoma is the current genus and Nandopsis is the old, same fish.

Awesome Thanks I will have to set up another 75 for my carpintis first and then get a female. Again I cant thank you enough HUKIT.

Awesome Thanks I will have to set up another 75 for my carpintis first and then get a female. Again I cant thank you enough HUKIT.

I'd keep the Salvini pair in the 75g then get something else with some size and attitude for the 120g. The 75g in my opinion would be perfect for a compatible pair.

Post some pictures of the new sal too!

I will try to get a picture of him. He still goes into hiding when I approach the tank but hes getting better.

He looks great. Here is one of my younger pairs( before my female festae got back at them by killing them both).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 46
The pictures doesn't do him justice but he definitely looks nowhere as good as yours do. there is no yellow what so ever.

Just did some dorsal and tail fin shedding. I was in bed and heard what sounded like rocks being thrown into a pond. Sure enough the carpintis was trying to jump out. He's smaller than the salvini.

Back
Top Bottom