Salvinis and oscars...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a 125 with a 2 inch Oscar and a trio of bala sharks about 2.5 inches each. I'm noticing the Oscar starting to beat them up a little . I was gonna take them to the Lfs and maybe get a salvini but it's been a while since I have had cichlids and I just want to be sure that it a good choice. Thanks

Oscars are on the low end scale in terms of aggression and salvinis are on the FAR opposite side, they can be nasty with tankmates. I'm a little surprised a small oscar can even catch a bala shark, they're so clumsy and slow.

Yea I'm surprised he could get at them too hukit.... Maybe I could wait until the Oscar gets big and slow . I figured as much as far as aggression but like I said it's been a while . So what cichlid would you recommend with the Oscar if I do go that route?

That is a tough question, if your looking to keep focus on the oscar then I would look at some of the mid sized genus such as Amatitlania, Cryptoheros, and Archocentrus. You could keep a pair or trio of these along with the oscar and bala sharks, toss in a plec and call it stocked.

Hey I was thinking about those fish you mentioned and I like a few of them but won't be able to find them locally. I did think about pictus cats though . I was wondering if their spines would keep them protected and keep the bala sharks from being the only targets. Any opinions on that?

Back
Top Bottom