Serial killer dwarf cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blazeherd2306

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now the inhabitants in my 10 gal. planted tank are Laetacara curviceps (the murderer), one cory, two otos and two neons. I want to put in another oto and cory, but my dwarf cichlid "curviceps" will just attack them until they die. I remember hearing that Laetacara curviceps are peaceful fish, but my has already killed three fish and I saw him do it!
So far he's killed two corys and one oto. With the corys, he shreds up their tails/fins, bites their barbels off, and constantly attacks them until they die. I haven't seen him kill the oto, but they are slow moving fish and I'm pretty sure he did it. I just have a few questions:

1. Should I take him back to the fish store I got him from?
2. Are there any fish that he won't attack besides tetras?
3. Should I try to by another cory and oto, but try to find the bigger cory/oto out of the bunch?

Thanks in advance.

the problem with having cories in a tank with dwarf cichlids , at least ime, is that they both like to stay around the bottom of the tank. My apistos are peaceful , but the one male ar the time, killed 4 cories . my dwarf cichlids are territorial, and there is only mild aggression towards other tanks mates (mostly to another apisto)but to a slow moving cory, missing fins/death is likely. I don't know about the Laetacara curviceps, but if it is territorial, than i would not add anymore cory cats.

You have yourself a bottom-dwelling fish here so I agree, no more cories. You need to stick with upper-strata dwelling fish, and I would suggest adding to your neon school as they prefer to be in groups, or you could get hatchetfish, zebra danios or white cloud minnows. You might be able to make it work with catfish if you had a 20gal, but in this small tank your dwarf cichlid wants the territory all to itself.

Thanks for the advice! I will move my remaining cory to my other ten gal.

Back
Top Bottom