Single Bolivian Ram in a 20 high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm currently cycling a 20 gallon high in my office and am pondering stocking ideas. One was doing a single Bolivian Ram in this tank, with a small-ish shoal of Emperor or Lemon Tetras (8-10). Despite the fact that the ram would be the only bottom-dweller, my initial though is that a 24" x 12" footprint is too small for a fish that gets to a little over 3". Then again, I don't know active Bolivians are. Thoughts?

The tank has fine black sand, will have a bogwood "cave", and will be planted with Java Fern and Hornwort (the latter will float on top).

Pair of apistos would be better. If this is a "so oooo bored..m what's going on in here" tank?? Breeding behavior cannot be beat. Tetras will only add to the show;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It will be fine IMO and IME

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the feedback.

Pair of apistos would be better. If this is a "so oooo bored..m what's going on in here" tank?? Breeding behavior cannot be beat. Tetras will only add to the show;)

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind as well. A pair of A. cacatuoides 'Double Red' would look nice in my tank. Is it necessary to line the bottom of the tank with leaf litter? Not sure I want to do that. Both of my LFS carry Apistos only occasionally. Is there a good online source out there?

This tank has gone from being a species-only CPD tank (boring) to a nano tank with pygmy corys, dwarf pencils, and green neons (too busy) to a tank with full-sized corys and tetras (too similar to my other tank) to this. In the end, I've decided that buying a new tank and not stocking it with at least one cichlid is a waste.

Try Aqua bid.

I currently have a Bolivian in a 20.
I think one Bolivian with some (6) cardinals might work ok.

You can run a clear water setup, just throw in a cave or two of they decide to spawn. Ertyjr. On tpt breeds cacs, pretty sure he ships too!
I am an Apistogramma breeder, ask me anything

Thanks for the link.

Try Aqua bid.

I currently have a Bolivian in a 20.
I think one Bolivian with some (6) cardinals might work ok.

OK, so it's good to know that others have had success with a Bolivian in a 20.

I have Cardinals in my other tank and they're proving to be less hardy than my GBRs. They're also mid-strata swimmers, and I'd be more inclined to do a middle/top species like Black Neons or pencilfish.

Back
Top Bottom