Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Small Cichlid Project

Ok, so my 20 gallon tank has been unoccupied since Feb., and I think its time to get some fish in there.
I'm thinking cichlids.

Before anybody rants off saying "20 gallons is too small for cichlids!", I agree, and I understand. However, I do have at hand, the power of the internet.

The internet suggests I could get away with a pair of convict cichlids. True, false?
I've also been thinking maybe a pair of angels. I have read, and know that angelfish get tall- very tall. Turns out my tank is a 20 gallon tall, not long. Suggestions?

I would defintely like to get a cichlid of some sorts. If what I recommended isn't plausible,what is?
Also keep in mind I'd like to have an algae buffer- a fish to assist in the removal of algae. I was thinking in the case of angelfish, 2-3 ottos, since I know from experience that they are fast little buggers. In the case of any other cichlid, I honestly have no clue. I'd assume any sort of bigger pleco?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

These links should help

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_10g.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_20g.php

That ^^ is for a 20 gallon long

Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by insecurity View Post
Ok, so my 20 gallon tank has been unoccupied since Feb., and I think its time to get some fish in there.
I'm thinking cichlids.

Before anybody rants off saying "20 gallons is too small for cichlids!", I agree, and I understand. However, I do have at hand, the power of the internet.

The internet suggests I could get away with a pair of convict cichlids. True, false?
I've also been thinking maybe a pair of angels. I have read, and know that angelfish get tall- very tall. Turns out my tank is a 20 gallon tall, not long. Suggestions?

I would defintely like to get a cichlid of some sorts. If what I recommended isn't plausible,what is?
Also keep in mind I'd like to have an algae buffer- a fish to assist in the removal of algae. I was thinking in the case of angelfish, 2-3 ottos, since I know from experience that they are fast little buggers. In the case of any other cichlid, I honestly have no clue. I'd assume any sort of bigger pleco?
Ok i think that whole 20g is to small is not true.. Yes it has it pros and cons but anything you do in hobbies have that... Depends on effort you put into your tanks i have 6 african cichlids 1-2 in and a syph . Cat fish and a syph been running it for year and 5 months and all fish good.. Just keep fish same size n feed 2-3 times. You may not get full color cuz the compact of tank but my tank been a success with survival and color good luck
Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out kribensis or apistogramma there both awesome cichlids that can handle a 20 and can get along with other fish well the kribensis can get a little aggressive during spawning though.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Apistogramma
Pelvicachromis (p. pulcher is known as a kribensis cichlid)
Ivannavara
Taeniacara
Dicrossus (aka checkerboard cichlids, personal favorite)
Laetacara (aka smiling acaras)
Biotecus
Mikrogeophagus (AKA rams)
Neolamprologus
Lamprologus

Mind you, not all species of each of these genera will work, but they are all considered dwarf genera. The last two are shell dwellers (not all species but several of them). They will need the tank to themselves but exhibit extremely interesting behavior.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #6

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'd do a pair of Cryptoheros such as nanoluteus or chetumalensis, heck who am I kidding any crypt would be awesome.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Any thoughts on the angelfish? There's not too many cichlids in my area, so either I'd have to go to a larger centre, or special order. Lots of angelfishes though.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not in a 20g

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Typically, breeding pairs of angels are kept in a 20, and the general rule of thumb for angels is 1 per 10 gallons. Not all angels reach a large size, for various reasons including genetics. As already mentioned, there are numerous small cichlids that would be fine in a 20.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Go with the angels.. Just don't put more than one or two. As far as tankmates, maybe 2-3 Cory but not much else.

Tags
cichlid, ich, project, small

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com